Tuesday 8 July 2014

Was it a dream?

During the World YMCA World Council last week there were elections to the positions of Officers and other members of the Executive Committee of the World YMCA.  I was one of two candidates for President.

In the couple of days leading up to the election I was asked to informally speak to two Area meetings and one national meeting in addition to countless chats with people whom I met whilst walking around the site, in the restaurant and anywhere else, about what I proposed to do if elected.  What quickly became apparent was that my hands-on knowledge of young people's issues gained from my long association with YMCA Derbyshire enabled me to readily recognise the issues of young people from other parts of the world.  Most issues were similar, no matter where we live.  However I did ask that - if elected - people would help me to better understand their own local realities.

The elections were held behind closed doors on the Wednesday evening.  To my delight I did gain a good majority and within a few moments was propelled from being another delegate at the World Council to the next World YMCA President.  That evening was almost surreal in that so many kind people wanted to shake my hand then have their photographs taken with me. The love and goodwill was almost overwhelming.

Two days later, I was required to give the "New President's Acceptance Speech".  I had a one-hour time slot allocated for it but to everyone's relief I spoke for less.  A standing ovation onto the stage plus a second one at the end was another rather emotional moment for me.  Perhaps the second one was to congratulate me for finishing early?

Now the work begins with my fellow Officers and Executive Committee members to help in any way we can to bring the agreed strategy "OUR WAY" to life. The assistance and prayers of YMCAs around the world will I am sure enable the world of the YMCA to grow and be stronger with us all focusing on Youth Empowerment.
 
Back home now after long travels, but happy to be back.  I managed to pack into my case the many gifts I was kindly given including a special scarf from the YMCA in Bavaria and coffee beans from Ghana; I was relieved the case arrived back in England with me. When I reached home and began unpacking my case, I was surprised to see that the security in Denver airport had decided to open it and examine the contents! Perhaps their X-Rays had highlighted the special type of hat given to me by my friends from India?  Look out for FaceBook selfies by uniformed US border guards wearing a purple turban with gold edging!

No comments:

Post a Comment