Sunday 6 July 2014

mY Journey



4 years ago I was just another member of staff at Tees Valley YMCA. Today, I am still just another member of staff but with so much more as well. I am now at Romford YMCA and have had so many life changing experiences with the YMCA that I am not the same person, I have changed. To reflect on this in one of the most beautiful places I have ever been; a changing landscape of beautiful mountains; The Rockies. I have been part of the Change Agents for about 18 months now representing YMCA England on a global level. The Change Agents task; to communicate the vision, to inspire action and to be the change. These all seem like very big concepts and nothing concrete, right? That's the point. The Global YMCA can't tell a local YMCA how to be, how to work and who to work with. A concept that can be interpreted into the National and Local context by the Change Agent themselves. I see it now! 

This World Council has been a journey; not always easy and with bumps in the road but none the less, one I would take again in a heart beat. Not only have I pushed myself out of my comfort zone (getting on stage in front of the World Leaders of the movement, not something I would say I was comfortable doing), I have learnt something. Something about myself, something about the movement and heard more and more of the amazing and incredible stories that the YMCA across the globe has to offer. It isn't always easy; sometimes the best journeys are those that aren't. This is one of them. 

With a buzz (that is the only word I can think to describe it) within me, I don't know where to start! With the end coming and most of the delegates starting their journey home; I have a whirl wind of emotions within me! From the excitement of what is to come to fear and anxiety of whether what I did was good enough. To wanting to be home, in my comfort zone to never wanting to leave. All conflicting emotions, ones I wouldn't change. 

The 18th YMCA World Council; from being honoured to be a voting delegate and voting in the new ExCo, Treasurer, Deputy President and President of World YMCA, to visiting Longmount YMCA and hearing about the incredible work they do with Latino communities in the area and the difficulties they face; oceans apart but difficulties not much different to those back home for some of the young people that I work with. From facilitating group sessions with 2 other amazing change agents (shout out to Katerina, Macedonia and Ray, Zimbabwe) the challenges faced and the lessons learnt to spending time getting to know new people and catching up with "old" friends.

The YMCA England voting delegation taking a selfie with the new World YMCA President, Peter Posner
Katerina, myself and Ray - Team 12 Facilitators
I am deeply honoured to have had the opportunity to take part in this; to be part of YMCA history. There is much to learn from this week; the first time change agents and young people of this incredible movement have been at the heart of the World Council - not just for me but for the YMCA as a whole. There is so much more to say but one the penultimate evening and a long week; it is time for bed - maybe another post after I am home. 

One last thing; I don't know what is to come but I hope that this is not the end of mY Journey! 

some of the beautiful people I have had the honour of spending time with this week!

1 comment: