Friday 4 July 2014

Jack Ahearn - Presidents Reception Reflection

(Photograph I took during a beautiful sunset behind the mountains) 
   

I have an impelling urge to note down the emotions and feelings that have swamped me over the last day after attending the Presidents Reception on behalf of my fellow Change Agents, joined with Watan from Palestine.

So when I was asked by Romulo to speak at such a huge event, I don’t think I was prepared for the roller coaster of emotions that would take over when the time was real. To clarify I was asked to talk at a very prestigious event, where around 300 opinion formers and potential financial supporters were present to hear our appeal. My task was to advise why we need to invest in young people and the movement for their continued development. As prepared as I could be, and many test subjects endured me practising before hand – I watched as the room started to fill more and more with such a diverse range of people from around the world. It then dawned on me the unbelievable presence of the people in the room, and how important the cause was that I was fighting for! It was then when the nerves kicked in, suddenly the past two years of my Change Agent life flashed before my eyes and I knew how crucial this evening was. The way the Change Agent programme has impacted me on my journey, gives me complete confidence that this is the way forward and I could not imagine the future age of YMCA without the next generation of Change Agents. The beautiful Vladi from Czech Republic then proceeded to invite to the stand, which was very formal, and I stood and panned the room – all of these people looking to me. I was filled with excitement for the reason I was standing there, I felt scared that I would mess up, I felt un-believable pressure from myself because I was so passionate about the cause, and also that I had been trusted to do this by the World Alliance – I knew I needed to do well! So the nerves did get to me a little at the start, I mean you wouldn't be human if not right? Of course I was not thinking that at the time. I had a small sense of disappointment in myself that I got a little tongue tied with the first few sentences. But this drove me even more, I couldn't give up, I am living proof that the cause is extremely important; I couldn't let the YMCA down. So as I got into it, I suddenly started to feel ease, again, I could see people were moved by what I was saying. I had constant warm looks of re-assurance from my English delegation who were sitting right in front of me! – No pressure. Suddenly the first hiccup was a blur and the passion led me.

I had an enormous amount of support afterwards, absolutely beautiful compliments from awe inspiring people. They recognised me, my movement and was interested in my appeal and what I had to say. This then drove conversation after conversation. Since I have had people approach me from so many different nations, congratulating me and making me aware that thanks to a joint effort raised over $130,000.00. I struggle with compliments sometimes, but the amazing feeling that filled me to think how many future generation Change Agents can  be funded from this amount, and not only that but having the security of knowing young people who are restricted globally WILL have the chance to flourish and reach their real and beautiful potential.

I want to thank Romulo for the opportunity to be involved with this; and have the opportunity to fight for what’s right, it is a huge thing for me. And something else, I am very glad my Chief Executive; Steve Clay from my local YMCA (YMCA Black Country) has had the chance to really grasp the work I do internationally, and understand to the fullest how passionate I am. We are the future generation of leaders, and we are the way forward.

If you would like to read my speech, please email me on: jackahearnymca@hotmail.co.uk or search for me on Facebook: Jackiioo Ahearn.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Jack Ahearn

2 comments:

  1. Loved reading that post :) brought a tear to my eye (!), and I feel incredibly privileged to see how far you have come since meeting you in October 2009! You are 100% the right person to have delivered an important message to all those people and without a doubt you would have got it spot on! However, what I will say is that you and your peers aren't just the future generation of leaders, you should feel empowered to be leaders today and quite clearly you are,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing less than EPIC I can say about this blog! Proud to be a part of this physically and visually!

    ReplyDelete