Sunday 6 July 2014

I Won't Say Goodbye!!!!!

Firstly i know that my blogs have not been as funny as others but i thought to myself, why follow the crowd, why not be the black sheep and try something new and on this last day of my Colorado adventure i will tell you my story...
My journey to the 18th World Council began 8 days ago and in that short time i have changed beyond my wildest dreams. They say every living thing adapts to be the best it can be and that is what i have had to do. 
On October 22nd 2013 i thought my world was falling apart. I had no one to turn to and i felt alone and betrayed. This was the day i became part of the YMCA. I had heard rumours that it was a place where no one was safe and life became more difficult than you could handle. I soon found out that this was not the case and even though i was shy and couldn't speak to anyone i soon found friends and began helping out in any way that i could. The more i did for the YMCA, the more i wanted to do. A special moment in february gave me that chance to do more. I was told i had an interview. Not just any interview though, this was something that i couldn't process immediately because i was asked to interview for a chance to go on a once in a lifetime journey to Denver, Colorado to attend the 18th World Council for the YMCA.
I have learned so much since i have been involved in this event and i feel like i can go back home both proud and ready to do all i can do for the good of not only my YMCA but of all the YMCA's in all countries around the world. I won't be alone though, i will have the support of all the new friends i have made and of the workers at my own YMCA. I heard a saying many times at this conference and that saying was, "If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together." That phrase has taught me so much and those words will never leave my mind. 
Another saying i heard was from the keynote speaker on the very first day of the conference that she was told when she was younger. She said "Walk in a good way, whatever that means to you" and although i am still finding out what it means to me, i will do my best to do good and be the best i can be.
Tomorrow i will be on my way home to England and i can honestly say that i will never forget Colorado. Not just because of the landscape and the amazing views or even because of the fun times i have had with both old and new friends. The main reason it will stick with me always is that i have learned so much and i am now the person i wish to be and i can't thank everyone who helped to make that happen enough and wish you all the best. For those who live far away from me both in Britain and in all the other countries i hope that we will meet again. I see you all as my second family and hope that you all feel the same way.

I also want to thank those who voted for me in the "Best blog of the week". I rarely get compliments and i still don't know how to process them. It means so much to me as these are the first blogs i have ever done and for them to be recognised in this way is truly an honour.

If i may i want to say a few words about some of the people who have made my adventure a truly memorable and amazing experience. The first will go to my keyworker back at my own YMCA, Michelle Morgan, who nominated for me to come to Colorado. She has been the most amazing keyworker and friend that i have had and i will never be able to repay her.

The next goes to Lewis Barkway, he was the one who was interviewing me and although i didn't see myself as a first choice for this, he saw something in me and knew that this was an opportunity for me to grow as a person and for that i can't thank him enough.

The next goes to Jack Ahearn. I had only seen jack once before and it was only for a brief moment and i didn't think he would mean anything to me. I couldn't have been more wrong as he is now a great friend who i could never replace if i even tried and i hope that when i go back home, we will still be in touch and that our friendship can continue to grow and that we will one day see each other again.

There are several others that mean so much to me and hopefully they know who they are. I hope that we will be friends for a long time and that they know they will not be forgotten as long as my heart continues to beat.
Just a couple of great friends i have met in Colorado!!!

This isn't goodbye to any of you or even to Colorado as goodbyes mean that you will never see them again and i won't let that happen.
One day, i will return!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Just absolutely stunning Wesley...Progression is about taking a path that you may see clear or at times difficult, but yours is just beautiful from start to finish. I have read it over and over again and it just pulls the sweetest string around my heart. You shall be so proud and continue to be a master at capturing your achievements in life, as you do it so so well. We didn't actually spend that much time together and for that I am grateful, because reading this means more to me and it shows that YOU have created your own SPACE, TRANSFORMATION and made this IMPACT. Bless you so much and thank you forever for these amazing blog posts.

    ReplyDelete