Tuesday 1 July 2014

In consideration of youth empowerment

It seems to me that we are likely to have a majority youth Exec Committee after the elections. Nothing could more powerfully illustrate our combined commitment to not just being a youth focussed movement but being a youth led movement.

Even as I celebrate this empowerment I am reflecting on our key note speech at the beginning of the week, "In the footsteps of Elders". Last night over a very agreeable amber ale it was suggested to me that someone becomes an elder when no one is left to teach them. My granny is 100 she is an Elder. But there are ways in which a young person with challenging life circumstances might be an Elder too. 

My prayer as we prepare for our elections is that our future world YMCA leaders will be our Elders - both younger and older.


No comments:

Post a Comment