Wednesday 20 July 2011

So far in Prague....


Well I finally made it! After 7 (amazing) years working in my local YMCA I am finally sampling the movement on the international scene. In my last post I mentioned briefly that my own YM experience kind of started and stopped at Bolton’s front door, now I find myself among some great people all with a different story and experience.
I am one of the oldest on the conference and have been surprised that there are so many volunteers here (not that surprising considering we are a voluntary organisation!)  i am however extremely encouraged and very proud of the younger people that I have met, and thinking back to when I was their age the passion and desire they have has put me to shame.
I have met Dorina Lluka who is the youngest national general secretary ever! She is only 25! She is from Kosovo. I spent a lot of time talking to her in Prague last night and she is very humble. She is a true inspiration to anyone in the movement and she has promised me an interview later in the week!
Ian has covered the content of what we have done so I will try not to repeat what he has posted but I too was shocked at seeing Bryan Adams in last night’s film!
My roommate Matthew is a cool guy and we have not gone to sleep early the last two nights sharing tales from our lives. He also snores but I have heard worse. He again is only young but has done so much and is defiantly a rising star!
I have tried to hold back and let other people in the home group lead and this has been a welcome break for me as I usually find myself leading everything at my local YMCA.
I’m feeling quite tired as I’m having to speak slower and concentrate more when people are talking but I’m really impressed with how well everyone speaks English. Some people here have English as their second, third and even forth language so I feel like I’m cheating almost as I can just about speak English and a grade E in GCSE French doesn’t really count as a second language!
Another thing I’m really impressed with is the circle game and the fact it’s an international game, I’m currently trying to catch out Santiago who is quite good but I will get him! As my colleagues of Bolton will tell you I am the true master of the circle.
Lastly I had a great time at dinner tonight sitting with new people and despite the language barriers the message was loud and clear “I love YMCA” I’m sure anyone reading this will agree that any time you meet people who work or go to the YMCA it’s just like coming home!
Having a great time don’t forget to follow me on twitter @adidavies
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment