Thursday 21 July 2011

Another Day Another Lesson Learned - Shabeb

Another day, another lesson learned. Today we talked about transformation of ourselves and of society. Amazingly inciteful as we learned that tolerance and acceptance of differences is not enough as this will not last. I have always been proud of the tolerance and acceptance of the British people but as we know there are many examples where this has boiled over and led to discrimination (e.g the current situation with EU migrants). Instead we need to have engagement and dialogue and in such a way we can be one step closer to being a truly integrated society. This is not easy but each one of us has a responsibilty to try to achieve this to have peace and justice. I feel we in Britain are closer to this than many societies but we can no longer live parallel lives with our minorities and must strive to change this. We must create a new identity for ourselves which combines and celebrates our differences rather then just tolerate and accept...

I feel I have learned so much about myself, my identity and my prejudices and this has started me on the journey to a more peaceful and productive life.Ps: we visited Dhaka again and although I have been very positive about this society I have to say it is a crazy city. It is so overpopulated and the city continues to try to construct newer and taller building without dealing with some of the core/root problems (we can see this scenario in all countries but not to this extent). I am amazed to see so many people in such poverty living side by side with many wealthy people. This seems so strange to me that the people can allow this to continue. There are loose electric cables every where, no road rules and yesterday we heard a youing student died in the centre after a brick from some scaffolding fell on his head. This construction is occurring around people and the bricks are like missiles the people have to watch out for...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shabeb, really looking forward to seeing how your llearning and understanding as a result of this experience can effect others through the YMCA on your return

    ReplyDelete