Monday 25 July 2011

Game over? its just the start!

Team Davies arrived back late last night. As I walked out of the airport I felt tired, emotional, hungry and very thankful for meeting so many amazing people.

 My year has been a very difficult one with illness, threat of redundancy and family problems, but a fluke meeting with a certain Ken Montgomary at this year’s National conference has changed my life. I need to publically thank him for what he has done for me, my YMCA and my youth and the faith he has in me and I look forward to visiting him soon to thank him personally and sharing food and stories with him. Thank you Ken!

I didn’t want to blog yesterday as tears and lack of sleep left me an emotional mess as I stayed up till 5am to wave the first people off. I also wanted time to let the experience sink in.

I was back at work today and as my Chief Executive greeted me with a hug I felt very proud as colleagues told me how he had followed me on this blog. My first day back at work was a good one with new funding, new hope and the start of our summer scheme. I found myself slipping off back to Prague and my new friends at times but their inspiration will carry me on through the week and I have already spoke to a group of youth about Prague 2013 and raised the issue at the managers meeting!

WATCH OUT PRAGUE! BOLTON IS COMING!!!!

I have learnt many things but as always the people on the conference have taught me the most, I have been inspired and touched deeply by people’s comments and actions. I just want to share a story with you that really touched me. I met a girl called Edita, she couldn’t believe I didn’t have facebook (that is correct Twitter is the future!) she was so worried that I couldn’t keep in contact with her that she bought me a book of stamps and gave me her address asking if I would write to her and keep in touch. It’s amazing that she went to that length and I will write to her, and I was very touched.

It was also encouraging to hear others comments about myself, I wont share these as they are personal and feel very honoured people feel this way about me. Proud to be chosen and proud to represent England, we all did well.

Just to finish the entire conference was playing the circle game by the end of the week, including the facilitators. Me and Santiago did it... the point is it just takes one person to want change and if you try hard enough others will follow.

This is Adi Davies signing off. Thanks for reading

3 comments:

  1. I am realy looking forward to coming of Bolton ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to keep you up till 5 in the morning that sunday adi, all the blame on me ;)
    You described it all perfectly, miss you guys, take care!

    ReplyDelete