Monday 25 July 2011

Back in Blighty

I'm sat here back on my sofa in london on the first morning back after prague and I'm thinking about everything that has happened over the last week. many things are running through my mind. i have have experience a lot and learnt a lot too. I know an aweful lot more about certain parts of the world, countries in eastern Europe that I'm ashamed to admit I had lumped together before. But now I know a little more about them they are very much separate, different, yet linked through a shared history. The more I have learned about certain parts of the world, the more i have realised I know very little.

Back on camp around this time we would have just finished breakfast and be starting our lectures. Right now I have just put my daughter to bed and am thinking about the very different routines. Its very simple to fall back into our own rhythm at home. I do want to do that, but I do not want to lose the feelings and memories from the past week. There are many inspirational stories I have been lucky enough to hear over the past week and I want to try and remember those and harness them as I go back to my own little part of the world.

Catching up with all the news, local and international since coming home and its very sad to hear about the tragedy in Oslo and the death of Amy Winehouse. Both stories seem to be linked by the death of young people. Many people too young for a normal death have had their lives cut short for different reasons. My heart goes out to all the people and families of Norway. We did get the headlines while we were away, but now we are catching up with the details and they are just chilling. To me it feels really surreal, as they were taking part in a youth camp in Europe, and where have I just come back from? ..... a youth camp in Europe! I could not imagine that happening....

On a lighter note, I'd like to say thank you to all the many wonderful people I have met over the past week. The other YMCA members from across Europe, the facilitators and guest speakers and especially the other guys from the UK. We made a good group I think, and I cant remember the last time I have laughed so much. I really miss the sound of laughter this morning!!

Thank you to Prague, thank you to my new friends, thank you to YMCA Europe. Lets all go back and serve God in our own little ways as he really is #bossofyouall !! :)

@cityymca_london
@boydicuss

1 comment:

  1. Well said Ian, it really felt different waking up and going to work this morning.

    It was truly a great experience and every body was amazing.


    All the best
    xxx

    ReplyDelete