Monday 18 July 2011

'A country far far far different to the one I am used too' Further update from Laura

Hi from Bangladesh! It's finally raining here, it's monsoon season and we seem to have been missing the rain, but today we finally have had some downpours!!

Well at the weekend we got split up in groups for our field visits, an opportunity to see what we are learning in practice. As I said before, I went to Bogra YMCA and had an amazing time.

Whilst we were there, as well as local sightseeing we went in to the villages to see projects the YMCA run. One a micro-credit group which works with 90 groups across 25 villages. We visited 2 of these groups, a Muslim group and a Hindu Group, and then we visited an empowerment group who work to stop domestic violence, sexual harrassment, support womens rights and try to reduce the number of young marriages. The groups were so pleased for our visit and we had dialogue with them. They spoke about the changes in the area, about how they are supported as women to have their own identity, to be equals and how people of different faiths work together closely without conflict. Even the Hindu micro-credit Group had broken down the caste barrier. The micro-credit group supports the villagers financially when they need it by giving out loans, and this often comes to use when the village is flooded and their homes are destroyed. They can ask for a loan from the micro-credit group which is facilitated by the YMCA but run by the villagers, and they can have financial help in setting up a new home. The women in these groups feel empowered, and it means they are not completely reliant on their husbands for financial support.

It was so hot in the villages and I just can't believe people can live in those conditions. It was like something from a film, not something I ever thought I would experience. However, they know nothing different and they work hard to look after themselves and their families. They were interested in asking me questions about England, and as we were sitting with the groups people just crowded round to see what was going on. I was so famous the whole time we were away, everyone wanted to take my photo and speak with me...that will never happen to me again I am sure!! It was ok at times, but sometimes I just got frustrated! I still can't believe people in Bangladesh have never seen a white person!!

I had some great new experiences whilst I was on the field trip, and had the opportunity to see people of different faiths working together and people trying their hardest to live their lives in a positive way, working together to make a change. I was inspired.

When I have more time and I am back in England I will reflect on this experience some more, but for now this is just an opportunity for you to get an insight to some of the experiences we are having over here in Bangladesh. A country far far far different to the one I am used to!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment