Friday 22 July 2011

Dude, Where's the Peace?!




Hi Everyone!

I must first apologise for not blogging since I've been here, I would say I've been to busy ... but if I'm honest all my spare time has been spent with all the lovely people I've met!

The Peace and Reconciliation conference has been an amazing experience so far! I have made so many friends and insist on attempting the US accent all the time especially after finding out all Americans have lisps :P Also the Czech's think I look like a vampire as I am pale with large eyes o_0 ... I can't see the similarity myself and its something I've never had before! Haha

On a more serious note, I have been so shocked and sad to find out situations of conflict and lack of peace in the countries of my friends here, particularly Belarus and Kosovo which almost bought me to tears! Its so intriguing to see the difference in cultures, and makes me feel so lucky that I have not come face to face with conflict back at home!

Its also fascinating to see that most people here speak 2/3 and some even 4 different languages! It makes me feel so guilty that us English only speak English! But everyone here speaks great English, although they understand the Americans better than us English! Especially poor Lewis, if he's not speaking to fast its to slow! :)

As well as learning a lot of interesting things about peace through touching personal stories of the past, learning about everyone individual cultures has also been nearly as fascinating! We did a culture evening last night which was great! Learned so much about other countries across the globe as well as partly being a geography lesson! We learned new dances, tasted sweets listened to music and more from other cultures which again was amazing, especially when we all made the americans aware of what REAL football is :P Its was all fun and jokes though :)
The food and hotel is also beautiful here, despite the excess amount of chicken :') Anddd its stopped raining just in time for our trip into Prague tomorrow which I'm really excited for to learn more about Czech culture!

The diverse group of people I'm with are some of the most beautiful and amazing people I have ever met, and have become very comfortable with each other especially after all the very intimate but hilarious ice-breakers! It will be really sad to stay goodbye on Sunday, but facebooks will defiantly be added! :D

Anyway Sunday isn't here yet and we still have a good couple of days ahead which I am going to make the most of as there is still lots to learn!

I'm so grateful to have this amazing experience to learn such fascinating things and meet such amazing people and experience such a lovely city!

Jack :) x

2 comments:

  1. Jack, you have a wonderful way of communicating through your posts, your words connect with me in a way that allows me to get a feel of what you are saying, wonderful, beautiful..thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Ken!
    Just expressing how touching this week has been! :)

    ReplyDelete