Monday 16 June 2014

Thoughts about the 18th World Council

 The 18th World Council meeting in Estes Park, Colorado will be my fifth World Council event, but I can honestly say it is probably the one to which I most looking forward to attending, for several reasons.

The major focus on youth participation in its organisation and delivery, mainly through the Change Agents, will ensure a lively atmosphere in what can sometimes be dry business meetings. I am taking part in some events and meetings, which always makes it more interesting - more later.  The handbooks available beforehand with the briefings and explanations have been really excellent and ensure that we can arrive raring to go, with a good chance of understanding what is going on.  The venue is one of the nicest and most interesting YMCAs I have visited, in a truly beautiful setting - fortunately I have visited it twice before when I was co-chair of the World Council Oversight Committee. 

I am participating as a helper to a team of Change Agents who will be responsible for facilitating one of the small groups which will meet every morning.  There has been a lot of training for this to ensure the group participants have a great experience.  I've loved being part of it.

I'm also there as a candidate in the Elections for the position of President of the World Alliance, which makes for an exciting if somewhat nervous time!  The last English President was David Robinson CBE who was elected when the World Council took place in Nottingham in 1969 and if elected, I hope I can follow in his illustrious footsteps with the grace and skill for which he was known. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Peter for contributing to the blog. It is great to hear the thoughts of one of our potential YMCA World Leaders. Your appreciatiation and support for Youth Empowerment is greatly valued! Thank you for sharing some of your thounghts on you anticipations for what promises to be a fantastic event.

    ReplyDelete