Thursday 26 June 2014

Looking out for the Giants

Well...what can one say? For eight months now I have been working on the planning and logistics of getting 36 wonderful people from England, not forgetting Chris Richards from Wales and Martine Mc Garry from Ireland, to the 18th YMCA World Council in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado this week end. All are individuals in their own rights and hence each have had their own requests and I trust we have been able to cater for each and every one without fear of favor.

This will be my fifth Council and I know that one delegate from England has been to many more and one is also on their fifth. For the majority of the rest this is their first experience of a truly world class youth movement which recently celebrated it's 170th anniversary. This is illustrated, in my view through the fact that 20 out of the 36 English delegates are under 30. I can remember the days when we had to make a huge effort to get young people into such delegations, but this evening this is the first time I have looked at the English delegation profile. feeling good about that.

I know some of you on my friends list on facebook will think I keep banging on about YMCA and I am grateful you have not unfriended me:)

But becoming aware that as I type this post people are in airports or in planes crossing oceans and continents to gather together, over 1300 people. to set the course of a Global Youth movement for the next four years, towards Youth Empowerment stirs my soul.

People will come from Brazil, India, Australia, Canada USA Cayman Islands. Kosovo, Peru, Russia, Colombia, Germany, Ukraine, Ireland, France, Armenia, Poland, Scotland and the list goes on.... and on and on .... oh and Iceland and Finland and.....

All this does not just happen. We have an incredible team at a Global level, Ken our President, Johan Vilhelm Secretary General and then a collection of superstars who must have been fashioned by the creators hands. I am up for risks so here we go, We have a son and daughter from Switzerland, a Son from Brazil, Colombia, India, Africa and a daughter from USA. We than have a daughter of England who holds the logistics of the Movement together on occasions such as these....Suzanne ...Thank you!

My greatest desire for the next week is that things will never be the same again for anyone who engages,

No comments:

Post a Comment