Sunday 22 June 2014

Bridges For The Future

Andy here sitting in Pristina International Airport reflecting on how I ended up here. Sure, I’m glad I made it in one piece to Kosovo after a turbulent Aer Lingus flight early on Friday morning, at that point I was wondering why I had ever gambled with gravity in the first place and I may have developed a minor phobia of flying. But here I am with an hour ‘til I fly home with no regrets.

Two years ago I’d never heard of Kosovo, much less think I’d ever end up there. Through my involvement in the YMCA and ILP I’ve found myself with opportunities and experiences that had never been on my radar. Now I’m intrigued by this place Kosovo having learnt something of the country’s history and struggles and culture. Furthermore I’ve met a few of the country’s finest young leaders like Dorina and Orbis both with compelling and inspiring stories and much to offer not just Kosovo but the world.

I was here for the weekend as part of the planning team for our ‘Bridges for the Future’ seminar scheduled for 6-11th September in Pristina. The seminar is a product of YMCA Europe’s Roots For Reconciliation project. Yesterday we confirmed 35 participants from 10 countries for September and have an exciting programme lined up including; visiting Ferizaj where a Catholic Church and Mosque sit side by side in the same garden; a cultural evening with a difference; inputs from various Balkan YMCAs and YMCA Ireland and Cyprus on peace work and co-existence; and having Samuel Diaz from the World Alliance supporting participants to create powerful messages concerning ‘peace’ during the week and maximizing the potential of social media. We skyped Samuel yesterday and after speaking with him I am really looking forward to what we will all learn from his expertise in media and particularly social media – this will undoubtedly be learning beneficial to the national movements involved.

Well, not long now ‘til I board my flight home. I look forward to coming back here in September joined by some friends from YMCA Ireland. Bridges For the Future promises to be an engaging, challenging and inspiring seminar, already our friends in Kosovo Adi and Dorina have set the bar with the accommodation – a hotel that boasts having a pool, a sauna, a world record breaking bean mosaic, and Snoop Dogg as one of it’s former guests – and that’s before we even get the seminar started!



3 comments:

  1. Thanks Andy, really interested to hear about the planning for the conference. I hope we in England will have some excellent participant/s. It is equally good to hear about your reflections on how you ended up in Kosovo. I share your anxiety of flying, got to go to Colorado next weekend, hoping for a smooth flight!

    It is so good to witness the growth of a new YMCA, emerging from the troubles of the past. Seeing the expressions on the faces of all who engage in Kosovo is truly and inspiration and to know that a son of Ireland is getting involved is an immense joy.

    Dorina and all those involved in Kosovo are to be commended, supported and encouraged in all they do. Not forgetting the support of a former ILP member and Son of England, Mr Davies. Andy, Dorina and Adi...important leaders of the YMCA Movement. Be assured of my support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Andy for involvement and passion! Looking forward to see you in Pristina in September!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Andy! Thanks for your contribution and see you in September. Ken thank you for this inspiring words and don't forget you where the one giving the name to our organisation and thank you for your support it really mean a lot to us.

    ReplyDelete