Monday 30 June 2014

A thought for others...

Ok folks. My third Global Link blog is ready to go, without the need of Ken's encouragement for a change too. Sorry about the lack of photos there's plenty on my Facebook!

When you travel half way across the world and arrive at a place so ridiculously perfect it's a shame to know that if you kept traveling it would only be a matter of time before you were on your way back home again. Estes Park Colorado. It's hot but breezy, calm yet energetic, multilingual yet everyone is here for the same reason. The same goal. The same ambitions.

This is my first World Council as 4 years ago I was just starting my own personal YMCA adventure. The vibes I'm getting is that the hopes from Hong Kong 2010 have been met and exceeded and the goal throughout this week is that we will have the same outcomes at the next council in 2018 wherever that may be.

Although I am the third successive young person to represent Newport YMCA, I'm the only Welsh member here out of 1300 other participants. Still, the YMCA has no borders and today we stand as one.

I won't go in to too much detail about the weeks programme as the other guys on here will surely do that a lot better than I can. The reason for the blog came at the end of our short YMCA Europe meeting earlier this afternoon after listening to Juan, the Secretary General of YE. He mentioned in closing not to just think about my physical and mental journey this week but to think of those who cannot be with us. This was thought provoking for me as I'm sure other Welsh parties would love to be here too. I thought of the YMCA Wales chair Peter Landers who even if he did intend on coming would have had to cancel for important health reasons, and since putting me forward has done everything to help fund and encourage me to be a part of this occasion.

I also thought of my Centre Assistant Manager at Newport YMCA where I am Chairman and fellow ILP member Arif Hussain who from funding restrictions passed me the baton, yet still raised over £300 towards the trip through a talent show at our Y some months ago. There are also a few notable absentees from around the world who's contribution will be missed and finally my close personal friend Mike who represented Wales in 2010 for following what we're doing here. I'm looking forward to following the next representative in 4 years already whether or not I can still be worthy of attending myself. I feel forever in your debt people.

Thanks for your time, diolch yn fawr,
Chris
YMCA Wales


1 comment: