Saturday 15 June 2013

The end...for now

So it is the last night in Yerevan for the majority of the Peace Work Institute, it is 11pm here and leave for the airport at 2am so we are pulling an all nighter! I think we will all be pretty exhausted this time tomorrow! So what have we been doing over the last couple of days...

For me, it has been emotional. From learning about the conflict situation in Karabakh, to areas of peace work in Europe and completing our digital/ online work. It has been a moving couple of days and personally challenging, learning new skills, hearing painful stories from inspiring people (it is these stories that, for me, are the most powerful and motivating of learning) working in difficult situations. The areas of peace work was a different model to the one that I learnt in the School of Peace and has been a challenge to get these two to fit, maybe they don't? Maybe the models of peace work need to change depending on the context? I don't know, I am still reflecting on this one.

As for the digital activism, we as a group were asked to create a level of activity for the Peace Work Institute, I was part of the team creating a website (still waiting on it going live). This was a good opportunity for me to learn a new skill as it was something I have never done before and now have gained some new confidence in doing this. A facebook page and twitter account was also created (Roots for Reconciliation on facebook and @YMCA_PWI if you are interested). If I am honest, this is not what I expected when I saw digital activism on the schedule and the sessions were difficult due to the different levels of knowledge and skills within the group however, I think it is fair to say, that the majority of us are pleased with the end result.

There are lessons to be learnt from the event but that is all part of the process.

So the time has come to say goodbye, with good food, wine and laughter we ate our last meal together. With LOTS of photos of taken, LOTS of laughter, good conversation and music (would it be a YMCA conference without Gerard on a piano?) we part ways until the next time. I will see you in Prague and if not hopefully in Strasbourg. 

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful Rachel, I guess I would say, don't ditch what you learned from Bangladesh and India and your life experience.(which I know you won't). I feel good that you are challenging and comparing what you are seeing and hearing. In different parts, people understand and relate on different levels. Sometimes we need to step up and say, perhaps you might not have got that quite right or my experience and learning says something different. Different member movements are shaped by different circumstances and contexts. You are part of a particular experience that can contribute significantly to how we move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think ken's said it all. I think different things work in different cases / areas / situations and it's really interesting to be able to compare and contrast these.

    Thanks for the updates, it's really good to be able to feel part of what others are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Rachel killer blog as per usual!

    ReplyDelete