Sunday 2 June 2013

Right. Yeah. Chill. I've done another blog from Le Rocheton

After several people commenting that I should have posted a blog I have finally got round to doing it!

Right where to begin. Work is the same old story, just with more and more people coming to stay which also means twice as much of the same thing. There is a barbeque next Friday to celebrate the opening of a new kitchen for the residents of the Rocheton. I think it is quite strange to have a BBQ to open a kitchen, you would expect a master class of what can be done in a kitchen, but it is a German who has organised it so I trust his judgement. On the very same evening is the start of the UCJG (YMCA) France national general assembly. After attending the European general assembly, in good old Man-chess-ta, I am rather keen on seeing what goes on within the French movement but I highly doubt any of the Germans will be too eager on translating the whole weekend.

Last months addition of 'discovering the culture of France' involved a trip to Parc Asterix. For those that do not know what that is, Parc Asterix is a theme park just like Disneyland but the French people prefer it because it's nowhere near as busy and the whole theme is of the French comic Astérix et Obélix. It was a cracking day out! I really don't like rollercoasters but I grew some balls and went on most of them. The last thing we did was watch a rather entertaining play about 4 differnt people trying to steal the Mona Lisa. I would advise Parc Asterix over Disneyland anyday. I have been to both and Parc Asterix is worth every penny!

The only other thing I can think of the YES seminar and European gerneral meeting which no one wants to here my take on it... I'm still going to tell you anyway! In all fairness I had no idea what to expect other than a week with an old friend, my boss and a few other people like me. I was quite wrong as I arrived and there was nearly 40 people just for the YES seminar. All the people who attended have amazing stories, most of which I thought were much more interesting than mine, and all gave me such motivation for what I can do for my movement whether it be YMCA France, England or just my local back in Bolton.

From a man from Kosovo quoting Batman to a man from England seeing kareoke with no top on.
From a German man doing the Llama song to the Maltese obsession with Skype.
From a leader from the World Alliance to some skater from Bolton.
The YES seminar was something else! I am glad to a part of it and what we are aiming to become with the main message that we are not the future. We are the now!

So yeah. That's it for now. See you soon, real soon...

7 comments:

  1. Thank you sir. Well worth the wait, you are something else! The opportunity you choose, volunteering in another country, is one that is under used in England, according to the head of the Youth in Action Programme in England who I was speaking to on Wednesday. I was telling him about you! It seems that young people are not accessing such opportunities because of not being able to speak another language, I know it has been tough for you but you are making it happen.

    I am delighted you got what you did from YES, your story is special and building on this experience it is a credit to you.

    I love the comment you make about the YMCA being your movement, that it is for sure!

    I am writing this in a hotel room in London, preparing for a couple of important days work in the south and your post contributes to making the YMCA the special movement I believe it is.

    Thanks Ian, your a good man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome blog Ian! Had a huge smile on my face the whole way through. Was indeed a pleasure to meet you in Manchester and I would like to echo what Ken has said, you're a brave guy for doing this and hope it keeps on the up for you!

    Look forward to the next installment... keep them coming.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to go finally hear your take.cookie! Brilliant take, sounds like youre having a ball! Missing you Ian, stay safe xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the support guys much appreciated!

    As for people not taking these opportunities I think they just have to realise after a month or so it's not that hard to get your point across, you spend a few weeks just speaking one language and you are fine!

    I'll post again as soon as something interesting comes up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ian,great blog again.Just to say we are very proud of you and hope you continue to work hard and also enjoy this great opportunity you have been given.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great blog. Good to hear all your thoughts and pretty much echo what Ken and Rachel said!

    ReplyDelete
  7. to conquer volunteering you must become volunteering! so Batman would say! Ian you have a gift with words and your attitude to this has been impressive. Your story is travelling the world and yet you remain grounded. I think you have a huge role to play in the future and your experience will really help others

    ReplyDelete