Tuesday 18 November 2014

What a remarkable experience!

The trip/discovery visit has ended and left me with some amazing memories that with stay with me for the rest of my life. The YMCA has something about it, that gives people the opportunity to learn, develop and truly make a difference no matter where you are in the world.

I can only paint a picture through my words of the flavours of things and experiences I had whilst on the trip and even then it won't do it justice...whether it was the people, the places, the buildings, the culture, the communities, the generosity shown or simply the children...it was magical.

From day 1 we worked hard, hitting the ground running to visit YMCA projects across the Kerala and Tamil Nadu regions: orphanages, schools, day care centres, self help groups, river communities, sport and recreation centres, Tsunami relief and rebuilding projects, housing projects and centres to help the children suffering from mental illnesses. Every single project was quite remarkable....

I have spent time reflecting on the experience, attempting to come to terms with what I saw, who I met and what I did......I usually have a very pragmatic approach to life and work and part of my character tells me to process the experience into some form of order: perhaps labeling each project, even scoring them in some way to inform myself which fits best with what I was looking for....however on this trip my personal system has been blown out of the water! Everything touched me and made me think of ways I can improve, both personally and professionally.

India to me is a cacophony of noise and an explosion of colour, sometimes feeling like an amazing fire work display just without the wiz bangs!

The tut tuts, weaving in and out, the cars and motorbikes and buses and wagons flying around, constantly trying to overtake, the tooting and endless need to get wherever you're going quicker than possible or necessary...fantastic!

There is a freedom of expression in India with the way they live and the work they deliver. I feel it comes from the lack of Big Brother Contracts, the no-need to complete endless forms, the box ticking and the paperwork that is required in the UK in order to prove you worthiness. In India, they simply get the job done. They support the most needy, the most malnourished, the communities that require it most. Their work is done by listening, developing and understanding the issues that are affecting India. With this knowledge they work as one, they all contribute: financially if they can or hands on if that's what they can offer. It works. The feel good factor of the YMCA's presence across the regions was immense. They respect the organisation, it's values and aims and work together to create better communities.

My learning from the experience will not end now. I intend to develop further links for Teesdale YMCA, our staff, our communities and me. The work we do in the future will be heavily influenced by this experience, and with clear, positive mind, we will continue to grow and to make fantastic contributions to the region we work in and the communities we serve.

I'd like to make special thanks to Ken Montgomery for making this trip an experience I'll never forget and the colleagues I went with from throughout England for their support, the tolerance shown to each other and laughter we shared.

I would also like to thank the staff, board members and volunteers from every Indian YMCA we visited for their hospitality, genuine affection shown to us all and their amazingly inspirational work.

Kev.
CEO Teesdale YMCA
@Kev_WakeYMCA




No comments:

Post a Comment