Sunday 9 November 2014

Kathy Mohan is inspired!

I have been so touched by the warmth and hospitality of our Indian hosts. Personally I have never experienced anything like it before and I doubt I ever will again. We have been in Kerala and Tamil Nadhu and in both states have met with committed Christians who are pulling together to address inequality and improve the life chances of those less fortunate. They certainly face many challenges.


We have visited schools and boys homes and been to visit the homes of some living in the slums in Chennai. We have seen dedicated staff who are ambitious for the children and young people they are supporting. We had some fun together but it was hard to witness the conditions that they live in. Yet they have much to teach us  about joy.


The lay membership is enormous and very active.  We don't have the same level of membership in the UK and I think we could really learn from the Indian YMCA.


I will be returning to the UK with so much to think about and a real desire to continue the relationships I have begun to make..

No comments:

Post a Comment