Sunday 9 November 2014

YMCA Madras Physical Education College

We got off the home-from-home minibus tired, hot and grubby from the heat and travel. Walking into the hall, we could see a lot of people there waiting for us- really, a lot.


As we went in, 600+ students cheered us. Not just a polite smattering of applause, but a proper, full-throated cheer. It was amazing.


We were seated in front of the hall, draped with sandalwood beads, and presented with a golden bowl. Some mistake, surely? In England, I am, frankly, not that much of a big deal. I'm a senior manager, yeah, but... not worthy, not deserving of this welcome. I was in chinos, short-sleeved shirt and flip-flops. Not exactly dressed for the occasion.


After heartfelt speeches, the students put on a show. I mean, they really did put on a show. A yoga demonstration, dancing with exercise balls, a Goan dance, and an astonishing gymnastics display- human pyramids, four-tall, in the shape of cars and a train. With a student on top with a silver pom-pom, portraying the smoke from the funnel of the train. That was the point where I had to stop thinking about it all and start just letting it wash over me.


It took a while to leave. Lots of group photos, students wanting more photos... just the full rockstar treatment. It occurred to me as I got back on the bus: I will probably never have a welcome like that again. Not ever.


Madras really is quite a place.

No comments:

Post a Comment