Monday 17 November 2014

It feels odd to be back home!

I must say I feel quite disorientated since I returned home from India! And that isn't just because of the jet lag!
I would like to add my thanks to Ken for organising such a great Discovery Visit- and to the colleagues I shared the experience with.
It was an amazing visit- we saw so much and met so many different people during our discovery visit and I feel I need some time to digest it. We have given ourselves a bit of time to do this s a group and are meeting up again mid December to look at what we might do to cement some of the links we made while out there.
Our colleagues in India were the most tremendous hosts- thank you so very much. You really have given us a great insight into the YMCA in India- and I have been impressed with your collective action to assist those most in need in your communities.
I was greatly touched by your work with orphans and abandoned children and by your ambition for your school children- a number of whom we met - they were a delight. Also with the many self help projects you have.
I was haunted by the view of the slums we had as we were bussed in to the runway in Mumbai to return home. It was the slums I was dreading seeing but yet a number of those that we met who came from the slums were full of fun and laughter. It can't be right that their living conditions are so basic but yet they can teach us all a thing or two about the joy of life. I remain very perplexed about this. It really is not what I expected.
 
I went to India thinking aware of the challenges India faces with the level of poverty it has and thinking- how can we help? I return only partly thinking that but more- how have the Indian YMCA helped me? In many ways, I think. I have learned about the power of a strong membership model and wider community responsibility. I look forward to developing our work together.                         
 

No comments:

Post a Comment