Sunday 8 February 2015

The Roots Journey...

3 years ago, I was starting the first week of the APAY School of Peace in Bangalore, India. Now I am sat overlooking Buda Castle, Budapest, Hungary. Nearly all of the preparatory team are here ready to start the final preparations for the Peace Work Institute (PWI) Evaluation session. The sun is shining as I sit and think about the work ahead of us in the coming week but also reflect on the journey that has bought us as a group and me personally here.

As participants arrive there will be much laughter and smiles from the group as friends and colleagues are reunited; there will be much talk of things that have happened since we were last all together either in our tandem projects or in Strasbourg in December 2013 (which feels a life time ago for me!).

Throughout the week there will be much discussion about the journey from Istanbul to Budapest with the PWI; the learning experiences people have had, their own personal journeys, what can be learnt from our experiences from the entire PWI, what next for us as PWI. Time will be given for participants to reflect on their own personal journey as well as that of the process of PWI. Personal reflection is not something that can be easy, for some it can raise painful thoughts and memories whilst also thinking of the good and happy memories. When I think of my personal journey through Roots for Reconciliation PWI, like with any journey, there are many emotions that come to mind; frustration, dismay, wonder, awe, happiness, content, exhaustion and many, many more. With all of this, when I look back over the journey, it is intertwined with many other elements of my life and I realise how much I have changed, grown and developed over the 3 years on this journey.

My last thought for before this sessions begins... may it long continue and may we have a session filled with learning and hope for the future of peace work within YMCA. With young people that are dedicated to the work YMCA does all over the world in youth empowerment and peace , I know this will happen.

#peace #roots #Budapest

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Rachel, I know you have committed a great deal to this process and your work has been greatly valued, Thank you. Enjoy the rest of the week. I look forward to hearing about where the future of the PWI lies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you have made a real commitment to this work Rachel. I am very clear in my mind that this benefits not only you but the rest of us who make up the RY community. Have a great week and I look forward to our coffee catch up in a couple of weeks

    ReplyDelete
  3. ( I have signed in to goggle with my sons account)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proud to have you part of the Team!

    ReplyDelete