Saturday 8 November 2014

A conversation in Kerala, India.

"Excuse me, Miss Stella, but, it is unfortunate, I know: I smoke. It is a common habit in England. Is it possible for me to smoke here?"
"It is forbidden here, Mr Jonathan, but... this is a place that is private, so you may smoke. However, you are my brother, and out of respect  must tell you: smoking is injurious to your health.  You are wearing the beads you were given. They are the beads of a monk. No-one else was given beads of this kind. This is not co-incidence. You are like a monk. You see the world as a monk sees the world. You should be abstinent."
"Uh... yeah... thank you. I'm not sure that..."
"To shorten your life would be such a waste, would it not?"
"It would, yes..."
"Please, you must promise me that you will stop smoking. You must stop within one year from this day. You will promise me this, and take my hand?"
"Uh... uh... yes."
"This is your promise?"
"It is".

And that's why I'm going to stop smoking. Thank you Mrs Stella Thomas, Kerala, and India.

2 comments: