Tuesday 14 May 2013

European General Assembly

After a long weekend in Manchester I arrived back at work very tired but still buzzing with ideas, to start yesterday at work it took me a while to get my head back in the game so to speak as I found all these inspiring conversations from young people, from people leading the movement, ideas of what could be taken back to the local level and used in some of the programmes running in England, all of this buzzing round my head. My local YMCA will be pleased to hear, I did get my head back in the game but I am still buzzing.

From listening to the brave and inspiring words of Andre, Chair of YES to listening to Juan's message in a bottle, to talking to the different projects on the table talks, to hearing about the One Million Voices Project from Romulo, I am always amazed and in awe of individuals in this movement I call home. We have some amazing talent in the pool and at times I feel like I am beaming with pride that I am part of it. Personally, I feel we shine. We shine because we are addressing local issues in our communities but we also have something in common with the YMCA's all over the world, we empower young people.

There have been times when the young people in the movement have challenged the leaders to step up, when listening to these young people speak I am in awe of their bravery, passion and belief in the YMCA. It is that that makes us unique.

Since leaving the GA I am feeling re-vitalized and re-energized to take these ideas and thoughts back to the areas that I work in. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, thank you to all of those people that made the GA such a special event for me, as a first timer. Together we are YMCA. 

1 comment:

  1. Good to read your blog Rachel, as you say we need to remain grounded and deliver life changing services in communities across the globe.

    ReplyDelete