Saturday 23 February 2013

Northern Ireland: It's not all about throwing petrol bombs!

Well, I won't go on about what has happened here as the guys have done a brilliant job at that. A couple of thoughts after yesterday. I have been to Northern Ireland many a time so know the difference between what is portrayed in the news and what it is actually like over here but I was struck by how much work the YMCA is doing in terms of Conflict resolution and reconciliation, and not just at a political level where a lot of people think it matters, but at the community level where it can actually make a difference to the lives of young people. Stephen Turner, the NGS of YMCA Ireland is tasked with, in my opinion, a difficult job. Running a national movement across 2 countries who have a violent past together. From conversations with Stephen, Geraldine and Sian (Belfast YMCA), Kenny and Brendan (Greenhill YMCA) the work that is being done, will make a difference and is making a difference every day they open their doors. These guys know what they are doing and are doing it well. I was also struck by how well Lisburn YMCA is delivering drop in youth clubs but is addressing needs of the young people that attend. One man was there with the young boy he supports who has ADHD and Autism, this gentleman, John, was telling me how much of a difference the YMCA has made to this young boys life and how he looks forward to a Friday evening to see his friends. Young people never fail to amaze me, how they learn discrimination and stereotypes but are prepared to unlearn these in order to make friends. At Lisburn YMCA, as with all the other YMCAs we have visited, Protestant and Catholic Young People learn to live in peace with each other. It is these young people that will change the world, one day...

This trip has answered many questions I have carried with me since I learnt how big the YMCA is. I would like to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who looked after us yesterday and took time out of their no doubt hectic schedules to talk to us. Thanks to Martine and Andy for organising such a wonderful day. I have to say; Alex, Chelsea, Hannah and Dillon are setting the bar high for future young volunteers.

2 comments:

  1. Rachel, a really interesting snapshot of the YMCA in Ireland. The style and content of your posts always confim to me the quality of experience and insight you bring to the Blog. I really value that fact that you willingly accepoted the invitation to lead a group from YMCA's other than your own in Tees Valley. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my friend... a masterclass! your wisdom and experience can only help us all! speak soon and thank you for your leadership!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete