Friday 23 October 2015

Well, What a Day!

It was my birthday, and one I'll never forget. I thought I'd kept it quiet but Denise Hatton, the CEO of YMCA England, is always one step ahead!
It was our day off (not only for me, honest) and we were heading out of the city sightseeing. As the bus left Toronto for Niagara Falls I was treated to a rousing rendition of happy birthday. Who knew Ken had such a lovely falsetto?
Wearing my birthday ribbon we explored Niagara Falls by both boat and helicopter. Both trips were an experience unlike anything I’ve ever known. The views from above are breath-taking. Being on the boat feels more real, especially when you come away drenched. Luckily the salmon pink poncho we received did a decent job.
There was even time to sample some local wine. The winery specialized in ‘ice wine’ made from naturally frozen grapes. They were very sweet, but clearly to the taste of some of our delegation as we walked out with a bottle or two.
Since starting writing, we’ve arrived in Montreal. It immediately feels more European than Toronto, even accounting for the use of the French language. We started the day with a session on the history of YMCA Quebec, which became a very engaging discussion on the history of the province in general and our context within that.

We’re working in smaller groups on more specific topics this afternoon, so keep checking the blog as I’m sure plenty of interest will be posted.
Posted on behalf of Joe Curran

No comments:

Post a Comment