Friday 23 October 2015

Reflecting on Toronto

As I sit and wait to move on to the next part of our Canadian Discovery I am left to reflect on what a whirlwind/amazing few days in Toronto it has been. Learning about YMCA Canada and Greater Toronto Area (GTA) YMCA has been an inspiring experience. The information they've shared with us, the sites they've allowed us to visit and the staff and members we've met has blown my mind. I had the honour of meeting the CEO of GTAY a YMCA with a turnover of 175M in a morning and then end the day with a quick swim at the Central Y and be greeted and assisted by a very able and friendly volunteer. One thing that easily sticks out to me here at the Canada YMCAs is no matter what position a person is in they are still offering the same friendly, welcoming and knowledge attitude. Also the similarities between our organisations really stand out,  just the sheer scale being the main difference. 

A particular highlight for me was having the opportunity to spend time in small groups with Vice Presidents and leaders of particular areas. All willingly sharing their expertise and knowledge and advocating for us to go back to England and do the same! Leading me to think why do we duplicate so much work as individual YMCA's. Would we all benefit from sharing more resources? Something I know goes on in parts but could we be better at this. 

I look forward to seeing what the next stage of our trip in Montreal has to offer and what more I can learn, take back and help me improve within my YMCA. 

What a truly amazing experience to be part of. Thank You YMCA Canada and GTA YMCA for being such great hosts! 

Grace Harrison 

1 comment:

  1. And thank you Grace for visiting us. I'm glad you got in a quick swim - nothing like experiencing our facilities first hand!

    Mary Anne

    ReplyDelete