Thursday 4 September 2014

The start of an incredible journey

This is my first time posting a blog, one of many experiences that has been new to me this year thanks to some incredible opportunities I have had within the YMCA. I have been at my YMCA, Fairthorne Manor for 5 years now, I am incredibily passionate at what I do and the YMCA is part of who I am and the work has great value and I have progressed and developed as a individual.
I was lucky enough to have the priveldge of going to World Council in the Rocky Mountains in July and since the event I feel my mind has been broadened to the amazing work that other YMCA's are doing around the world. I met so many different interesting people who were caring and welcoming and always had the time to engage and listen to peoples stories, I instantly felt part of a group, full of ideas on this journey of empowering young people. Some of the speeches and workshops I particpated in gave me more of an insight into the work of the global YMCA  and even though my local YMCA is my passion and it reaches out into the community and changes people's lives I now want to see what happens in other countries and how their local YMCA's make a difference.
In two days time I am travelling to Kosovo to take part in the Bridges for the Future project and I am very excited to be taking part in something that I wouldnt have even thought I would be doing this time last year. People at work are calling me a jet setter this year as its the second time I am going on a YMCA International trip but its not very often opportunities come around so I feel like this is my year to grab the chance and put myself out there to raise awareness and to educate other young people on international issues.

4 comments:

  1. Karina, great post.You are part of a great YMCA who contribute not just to the lives of the children and young people you work with but also enabling opportunities, for staff and volunteers in opportunities such as World Council and Bridges to the Future. Fairthorne Group are fantastic in the work you do in local communities and also in how you extend those opportunities to volunteers from across the world to contribute to and benefit from your work. The topic of the gig next week in Kosovo is Bridges to the future. I suspect you are carving out your place to lay the path for your colleagues to gain some of your insights and experiences. I know that your YMCA promotes the values of what you call 'The YMCA Way'. Rather than this being the year of 'Your Turn' I trust is is the year that you prepare a way for others to experience all that contributes to 'The YMCA Way'. Safe travels and have a wonderful time. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind and inspirational words and for being part of allowing me to have this opportunity. I am sure I will have a wonderful time.

      Delete
  2. You are no Jet-setter Karina.

    You are a Pioneer!!!

    Have fun & be the change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pioneer is a great way to explain it! Thank you that is what I am going to be.

    ReplyDelete