Thursday 4 September 2014

Found that high!!! - Democracy in Europe Project, France 2014


Way, way back in 2011, I was offered the chance to go abroad through YMCA to attend YMCA Europe's YES (Youth European Spectrum) Conference & General Assembly in the Netherlands. Although I had been involved with my YMCA at Bolton as a young person since 2005/06, had spent a year working for YMCA England on the Myplace project, & had took part in a number of national projects/visits, this was the first time I would go abroad with the YMCA. This would also be the first time anyone from Bolton YMCA would represent the YMCA abroad since eons past.


Whilst there I had the most amazing time, I had so much energy, felt so inspired, & everyone bonded perfectly, and then almost in an instant, it was over, I was back home, back to the humdrum. I felt so down after coming back, missing everyone so much, with the knowledge that never again would that group of perfect people be in the same place ever again: The dreaded Conference comedown. I had been bitten by the international bug, and wanted more, but I was worried that I had my one YMCA international opportunity, the ultimate high & that I was forever to fade into obscurity.

Fast forward to the present and I needn't of worried, a lot had happened in those 3 years; I had survived, seen staff & other Young People at Bolton YMCA go abroad with the movement, seen some staff go abroad with the YMCA & start a new life, witnessed Young People go abroad on EVS in France with YMCA, seen French Young People volunteer at Bolton YMCA with EVS, became a trustee, & been abroad 6 more times with YMCA.

All this time I was searching for something I had found in a blink of an eye in the Netherlands.


I didn't find it when I went to Slovakia on Media Training with YMCA in 2012, even though I had a great time & discovered a taste for Kofola. For those that don't know, Kofola is a Czech/Slovakian soft drink not a million miles away from coca cola, but different enough to be something special. I came away feeling great, having learnt new things & shared with other Young People what I knew with regards to media, however that tingling feeling from experiencing something completely new just wasn't there.


I didn't find it when I went to Bulgaria to redecorate an orphanage/special school with a group of young people in Spring 2013, despite it being such a humbling experience to add so much joy to the children's lives. Working with fellow Young People to make a lasting difference to others was wonderful but the experience was similar in many ways to what I had done before, I was the participant, the change was meant to be seen in me.


I didn't find it when I went to the YMCA Europe Prague festival in August 2013 with a group of Young People from Bolton YMCAs Youth Council despite it being a full on Jolly!!! I did find more Kofola however. Here I was the assigned group leader, a role I will admit I was not ready for. Being at the largest YMCA event in the world definitely made it clear that I was part of something much much bigger than myself.


I didn't find it when I took part in a Democracy & Governance Project in Autumn 2013 with YMCA England to London & Paris. Met some diamond geezers though, Liam Preston & Aaron Proctor to name a couple. I might not have found that feeling that I was looking forward to but I did finally learn to understand how our & the French democratic systems work & how bills are passed, which would all come to great use in the end, presenting a role play on how our democracy functions in Salm.


I didn't find it when I went to Krakow in Poland in May on a Cultural visit with 9 other Volunteers/Staff from Bolton YMCA. I learnt a lot about things I thought I knew about, saw hidden wonders & eventually after much searching... Kofola. Through visiting Krakow YMCA it inspired me to look towards our own English YMCA movement & what it could with perseverance & dedication become.

But as amazing & unique as all these experiences were, how key they were in developing me to the present, & how they would prepare me for the future, I still hadn't found that high, that fresh tingling feeling, I first encountered in the Netherlands during 2011.

OMG!!! I found it!!!

But when I finally found it, & reached that high, I didn't just reach it. I eclipsed it. I had never felt so alive!!! It took 6 internationals but it eventually made an appearance.

I found it after several weeks of worrying about whether the Young People would actually come on the trip & get the most out of it.


I found it after several detours around Salford, the M6 around Birmingham, a stay over at the oldest backpackers hostel in Dover, a Channel Ferry Crossing, and a very, very long Minibus drive across France.




I found it at the YMCA Hostel in Salm after the long journey in the company of Young People from England, France, Spain, Germany, Romania, & Ukraine.




I found it during the Linguistic Ice breakers in the mornings, the Democracy & Governance Debates, the International Party, the Governance Presentations, the Lunch breaks, & the Dinners.


I found it in the visit to Strasbourg & the European Parliament.


I found it in the hiking, & in the half-court basketball.


I found it in the circle game, the pegging, the midnight/early morning crazy dancing, & the Late Night Conversations.


I never, ever, found it at breakfast... probably because I never made it down for breakfast.


But this was just the half of it, I wasn't just a participant anymore, I was an assistant leader of sorts, having already experienced all the above before. The above reached that high like in 2011, but to eclipse it I had to find something more, I had to step back from just seeing the change on myself & for the first time really witness & pay attention to the change on others...


I found it watching other Young People around me come alive.


I found it observing Young People coming out of their shells.


I found it bearing witness to Young People casting aside all their preconceptions of young people from other countries & seeing them as young people just like themselves.


I found it being part of a shared experience between Young People who were having their first experience of YMCA, some who were already well involved, & some, like myself who had been part of YMCA for a considerable time.


I found it seeing Young People adjust & prepare themselves for their new life in France & other countries on EVS.










I found it seeing Young People being forever changed.











I found it seeing Young People belonging, contributing & thriving.










I found it seeing Young People come to understand the true meaning of YMCA.



Why could I not find it before?

Because I was too busy looking for the change in myself, rather than in others.

Now that the "“Democracy in Europe” How it works, how it doesn't and what can we do to influence change?" Conference facilitated by YMCA France is over & we have all gone back to our own lives, I can safely say it has been the best thing I have ever been involved in during my time with the YMCA, and I am sad to see it slip into the past with each day that passes, but I have all the memories, photographs & friends.


Each & every one of the amazing people I met on this Project has a small piece of my heart with them. I hope they can take good care of it until we meet again.

But for now I have a new high to search for...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Alex, what a great post! I love the place you say you have reached. I know what you mean when you first engage with the International YMCA and you have a mind blowing experience that you think you will never be able to replicate and that all others, although equally as fantastic and new, they are not just quite the same. I had my first experience like that when I participated in a International YMCA Work camp in 1974.

    I find your use of the term 'high' as interesting. You say your understanding of how you see that now is in how others around you are changing as a result of their experience. I would suggest that perhaps what you are witnessing and is giving the sense of a 'high' is actually the birth of a new deep understanding and passion for what you are doing. I travel quite a bit to YMCA events as you know and for me I am deeply affected by seeing those around me beginning to find something new and doing something new, for the first time and how that makes them feel or see how they blossom!

    I love the way you put these posts together, your use of words and photos is great.

    Thank you for a very interesting post. You are a good man! #standingontheshouldersofgiants :)

    ReplyDelete