Friday 5 September 2014

Almost crossing the bridge :)



Walking around Romford (UK) I received a call from my social worker Ben "Are you interesting in participate in a YMCA project in Kosovo? We think it could be very interesting experience for you”  



In few hours I will be waiting in London airport to take a plane to see you! I can’t believe how lucky I am!

 I don’t know how to thank Rachel and Ben for providing me help to be involved in this project.



Everything started, when I became involved in YMCA Romford; it is incredible how many opportunities they give you to improve your life, your knowledge and to be active in social events.



All my life I was interested in these kinds of things, in Madrid (Spain) where I am form, I was involved in feminine projects, Spanish Civil War meeting, etc. However, after that, when I moved to England, I stopped with this active social projects, so, honestly, although I have a nice life here in UK, I felt sometimes lost, with a need to talk with people with similar motivations or interest.

This is what I have found in YMCA!

After an intense 3 month in Costa Rica and Nicaragua with Raleigh International, getting to know the people who lives there, their lives and the most important, the effect of Post Nicaragua War.

Now I am getting a chance to live another of the most important conflict around the word, and honestly, you can’t guess how overwhelmingly lucky I feel meeting people who has lived it, to knows by their experience what happened, what are the different ways to get the solution or basically, to get the peace, respecting the different  points of view. 


See you soon!! all my best Sofi 

2 comments:

  1. Good Post Sofia. I think it is wonderful that you have made the effort to engage with this event. I am aware that you have also had a significant International Experience in South America.
    You are coming from a great YMCA which has had a very high International profile over decades. Almost everyone you meet within the International YMCA knows someone who has volunteered at Romford YMCA. It is a great place. I had the immense pleasure of working there for nine years up until 1997. Happiest days of my life.
    You will be aware that Rachel has had a very significant influence on the Roots to Reconciliation Programme within which the Bridges conference is part. I am sure with her support and that of Ben and Tim and others in Romford you will be able to share some of the experience back home.
    I am delighted you managed to navigate your way onto this blog and look forward to hearing how you are getting on during the week. Your are joining with some of the most incredible young people from across the YMCA Movement. Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken,
    I absolutelly agree with you!
    It was a incredible time in Kosovo, they did a great work and great meetings and I met the most wonderful people with the best and interested ideas I havent met in long.
    Very very thanks to YMCA and the staff, I cant wait to be involved in further activities

    ReplyDelete