Friday 13 February 2015

The end of a new beginning?

So we have arrived at the last day of the Peace Work Institute (PWI) reunion here in Budapest; with a beautiful view of the city surrounded by inspiring and amazing people, how can one not think to the future. 

As we start to reflect back over our own Roots journey (for those that are not aware of the language, PWI is a programme delivered by the Roots for Reconciliation of YMCA Europe), looking at how the journey has changed us; changed our outlook, our attitudes, our work and the communities we work in; I find myself thinking a lot, reflecting on the whole process. 

To say it has been an easy process would be a lie, but then, a wise friend once showed me a picture; sometimes the road less travelled because it is not so easy, is the one that makes all the difference.



The challenges that I have faced along the way are the experiences, I feel have helped me to change and grow. The experience, well how has it changed me? It is difficult, for me, to identify concrete examples. There have been some pretty major changes in my life since I started on this journey of peace work; I have moved cities, I have changed in the way I work, my career plans have been transformed. I view the world in a different way, I talk about conflict situations and transformation in a very different way.   This is not always learnt from the sessions, for some of the bigger impacts on me, for most of the experiences I have had with the YMCA, the people make the experience. The people that are in attendance, the people that we learn from, those on the grass root. I have been inspired by the people I have met and the stories they have to tell. For me, they always shape the experience.

When I reflect back on the changes in  my life; I know some of my friends and family can get sick of listening to me going on about the stories I have heard from friends; they mean this in love and have been incredibly patient with me while I am on this journey and know that as they listen to me, they take on board a little of what I have said (maybe not all of it as I can talk a lot about it!). I feel that it can be the same for the young people I work with at Romford YMCA, they listen to most of it and have started to see the bigger world YMCA view. A lot, following the stories, ask how they can get more involved. I do believe that the PWI has had a trickle effect; every time you drop a little into the water, the ripples spill out. 


People will also be my biggest motivation; I have learnt this about myself while on this rocky (at times) river. My life goals have changed, my perspective has changed, my relationships have grown and developed. I have had opportunities opened up to me. To me, most importantly, I have met some incredible, inspiring people, people I am privileged to call friends and colleagues.

What does the future hold? What is my next beginning? Time will tell but we look forward to it... and keep tuned to make sure you see those that are being planned now! 

To end; a quote from Mother Teresa, told to me by Dorina, NGS of Kosovo, a message conveyed by many here...

No comments:

Post a Comment