Friday 30 August 2013

Supervision in youth work training - ICELAND!!

This is my first time writing on a blog, so I am by no means an experienced blogger but here goes… after volunteering and working for the YMCA as a relief member of staff, after finishing my degree, I managed to secure a job as an assistant development worker. Upon taking this position I had no idea what opportunities lay ahead of me…

I have learnt a lot the last few months within my role, and I am amazed at the work the YMCA does world wide.  I feel privileged to be involved with the Global YMCA Movement to establish youth empowerment, and I am excited for the opportunities, engagement and adventures that lie ahead of me.

I am very lucky to have been given the opportunity to attend supervision in youth work course in Iceland! I feel privileged as I feel I personally will take so much away from this course which I can use to benefit my YMCA in Worcestershire and I also get the chance to visit a country which I have never visited before! I choose to attend the course as I do not have masses of experience in supervision and I believe it is a key concept in building working relationships and providing a sense of belonging and support. I am looking forward to learning about theoretical approaches to providing supervision, rapport building, communication and listen skills as well as leading and receiving supervision. I am also very much looking forward to meeting and being taught by Brian Belton from YMCA George Williams college  who is going to be supported by an international team!

Not only am I looking forward to the training, but also meeting all the other individuals attending the course from all over the EU and learning from them and gaining information about there YMCA’s and the work they do. I have a few images which I am going to share to represent my YMCA in Worcestershire and the UK nationally.





This is Reggie our YMCA cat and I think he represents our YMCA in so many ways he is in a sleep easy hat here where staff and residents slept rough to raise money for the homeless. Reggie represents responsibility where residents care, feed and look after him. He represents happiness, support, and a sense of family/home in our supported accommodation and I look forward to sharing this image on the course.


A personal aim of mine is to make a difference, through the job I do and believe the course I am about to attend, will teach me valuable skills, and knowledge to do a better job in my YMCA. This was only a small post but I will blog all about my trip to Iceland and the supervision in youth work course I am attending to share my experiences and what I have learnt with you all.

1 comment:

  1. Ella, I know i should not be, but I am surprised once again by the clarity and committment I see in the writings of people who step up and say, yes, I am going to get involved. You are part of something called the YMCA and I know that as a result of your own motivation your life will be enhances in a way that you may have not known possible. The outcome, I believe is, you will grow to be someone who others look to and say that I want some of what Ella has. Looking forward to hearing more of how your week in Iceland pans out.

    ReplyDelete