Monday 12 August 2013

One month to go...

One month to go… 

Well. My last piece was just before the YMCA France General Assembly. As predicted it was extremely hard for me to keep track with what was going on but it was nice all the different people from the French YMCA’s. 

It has been a sad couple of months because I have had to say Auf Wiedersehento three Germans. Tim the bully, the silly Sophie & the crazy man Dominik. After a good part of a year together, even if I didn’t show it, I was truly gutted as they left one by one leaving me and Clara (the laughing cow).  Soon there will just be me... For like 5 days till the new volunteer comes and I set off home. So it’s cool, I can handle it. 

Works been the same as always really so I’ll fast forward to my tri-national pre-Prague trip to the YMCA House at Salm. This was one of them moments where I get asked to do something and say yes without even thinking or asking about it. Also Cedric went from I have to pay half the fee to just the train ticket to nothing at all to get me to go because my plans had changed for Prague. So yeah, quite interesting being the only English guy but I’m used to that now so it was no biggie. All members from all three nationalities (French, German Hungarian Romanians) were all really down to earth and keen on taking part in all the activities. My least favourite being the all day hike. Yeah it was cool doing it but my days did my legs hurt in the morning... My favourite, as always, the international eveningEach country did a presentation, song and supplied specialities from their country 

France: Stinky cheese, Wine and Ricard. 

 Germany: Bratwurst, Pasta dipped in apple sauce and German dark beer 

Hungarian Romanians: Sadly only had found out about the trip 48hrs earlier and brought nothing with them, made a sausage out of biscuits. Which infact was quite nice but I wouldn’t advise it in large quantities! 

My last day with the Tri-national crew was spent in Strasbourg. Loved it! Guided tour of the European Parliament, boat ride down the river and a meal with a free bar.  The meal ended up with me, Floriane & Cedric doing the Llama Song for the only YMCA France pin badge. Was probably not my finest moment but was well worth it! 

Now the big one! The Festival itself. Oooooooooh man. You should have been there! First day, as expected, was all the hard graft setting up all the Team Ken shops. First the T-shirt emporium (Martine & Johnny) & YMCA Shop (Rahim & Kelly), then the Tower Café (Rachel & Jack) & finally the Calypso Bar (Me & big lad Tom). The next day was stock up and kick off the festival. Was going smoothly until the storm hit and cancelled the rest of the day... One person injured and two tents destroyed... Not the kind of bang I imagined the festival to start with but a bang nonetheless!  

I could probably go on for pages about it but I'll just hit up 10 of my favourite moments. 

Ken's pre festival 'standing on the shoulders of giants speech' 

Me & Tom SMASHING our 18000 Koruna target by 90000 Koruna 

All the amazing people we met 

Robbie & American Eric's rap duets 

Cedric's dancing skills (In & out of the festival) 

All the nights at the cross! 

The crazy Danish 

Tom's Selfies 

Final night/morning 

The all round feel good sensation throughout the whole time. Rain or shine. 

In all it was a blast. Yeah me and Tom worked all day everyday but we loved it. Without Tom the Calypso Bar would have been an epic fail so thank you ever so much for being part of it! Both of us have gone back with collections of T-shirts & Pin Badges & we would like to know what makes you a collector? 
Would have loved to see a lot more of Team Bolton but we were 40 minutes away from each others hostels so that was the only downside but stuff like that happens you know. 

All in all I will be truly gutted if I don't meet some of these amazing people again & will make it my mission to do so! 

Well. I guess my next post shall be my Post-France blog. Bound to be full of mixed emotions. I still do not know what lies ahead after my time here but I do hope a certain opportunity comes reality! 

One more month to go, 
One more month till the next step on the spiral staircase of life...

4 comments:

  1. First stage of your mission almost accomplished. Great Post Ian. Really hope any possibilities work out. When all is said and done, you are a man who has shown and been respected as a leader by your peers. Enjoying a little time on your shoulders..... it looks good from up here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian, i think Andy said it best at the festival "its always nice when someone you worked with surpasses anything you have ever done" and this is true in our instance. I'm so proud of you and to read your story inspires me greatly. great work and hope the next move works out for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent mr cook
    Can't tell you just how proud I am to read your blogs and see just how far you have come
    Just knowing where you were at just over a year ago and to see you grow really is amazing
    So proud to know you and Just know you will go on to do good things !
    Chris b

    ReplyDelete
  4. Epic post Ian. It has been a pleasure to follow your journey and an inspiration to meet you and hear your story. Looking forward to the next blog post wherever you may be. Good luck with the next big adventure, hope it all works out for you.

    ReplyDelete