Saturday 20 October 2012

Where East has definatly met West!


Hey All,

Firstly, let me express how privileged I feel to be here at the Catch the Vision Conference  in Istanbul, not only to experience the amazing city, and culture that comes with it; and not only the amazing and inspirational people (participants and facilitators) here from all over the world who are united by the extraordinary and unique work that impacts so many lives in the YMCA, and the worldwide movement… but also and equally as importantly, the wonderful and educational content of the conference that has already overwhelmed and inspired me the past few days!

The most intriguing part for me so far has been the study of Youth Empowerment , with the never-ending positives and influences that has made me realise there is still so much to learn and use in my work at my local YMCA.

Not only have I learned so much through sharing best practices with participants worldwide, but I have also learnt through exploring initiatives such as the Change Agent programme, and the Space, Transformation and Impact diagram in aid to wake the ‘Sleeping Giant’ which is the worldwide YMCA movement, and anticipate the extraordinary ways of doing this and making the world’s general knowledge of the YMCA more than just a song.
 
 

I would like to briefly comment on the inspirational work done in Africa, which makes you appreciate all the negatives in Young People’s lives, and how these can be changed even in the most extreme of cases. With the extreme cases in Africa, it is marvellous to see that through the S2C programme, (Subject to Citizen) young people’s natural but unfortunate and old-fashioned views can not only be influenced but vastly improved.  Seeing the severe and detrimental effect on African women and men, it is again inspiring to see people like Gil Harper and the S2C Programme transforming lives hugely, and actually giving human life a value. As well as this the empowering of young people to successfully carry on this work, not only is improving Africa, but also is leading on to improve the whole world by inspiring the Change Agents initiative.

After having talks and presentations from the likes of YMCA World Alliance CEO Johan Vilhelm Eltvik, and the YMCA Turkey Board Chair who had once worked with Martin Luther King, it makes you realise how big our voice can be, and how important constant new ideas are part of the improvement of not only the world movement, but also on a local level.

It has been an overwhelming and inspirational experience so far, absorbing practices from the wisest of people in the YMCA, and has left me itching to start using these in my work at home, but also to be a part of this on a global level.

So with so much to say and so little time, I will finish here for now, however watch this space to see a more cultural outlook of the conference and how it is possible to have three attempts of walking to Asia;)

For more info on anything I have learned so far, please contact me, as I would be most happy to share these experiences with you in more detail.

#IHaveWalkedToAsia… Well off the boat anyway…
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment