Friday 26 October 2012

One year volunteering at YMCA Le Rocheton, France



This my first ever blog post and I am not very comfortable with formal writing but here goes! I am Ian Cook from YMCA Bolton and I am currently volunteering at the YMCA Centre International de Séjours, Le Rocheton, France.



When I found out I had been invited to work here for the year, I was amazed that they had even considered looking at a weak French speaker from the north but here I am! I am a very laid back person and that was the downfall to my preparation, Instead of practicing my French, I was out enjoying my remaining days with my friends. Big mistake.

I arrived at the Le Rocheton my usual confident self but when I met the other volunteers I soon quietened down after meeting the three Germans, as they are near perfect in French and English. This did in fact make me want to leave after only 2 days because I was to work with 2 older French chaps that could not (and still cannot!) speak a word of English. After the first day we developed a way of communicating, mostly hand gestures and free hand drawing, so the nerves went away and I have worked to my utmost capability every day since while also learning the language as I go.

Le Rocheton is an amazing place with so many great people, from the big cats in the “Bureau” to the trainee chefs in the kitchen; everybody has been extremely helpful and patient with me. Even though it is not anything like my youth club back home in Bolton, Le Rocheton definitely still has that YMCA feel that makes you, and anybody else, feel welcome and comfortable.

When the World Challenge was at le Rocheton we managed to get over 200 hundred people to come and shoot baskets, ride ponies, attend conferences and even drink a bit of champers! It was just a shame this mini-festival was dampened, literally, by the appalling weather. It was truly a privilege to by apart of it.
I have only been here 7 weeks but I have met so many new people, visited beautiful places and learnt valuable new skills. Another 45 weeks left, I cannot think of anything better. France, come at me bro!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Ian, I don't think we have ever met but a know quite a few of your friends and colleagues in Bolton YMCA. I think your blog post is excellent and seems to communicate something of who you are. You have my full respect for the way you have thrown yourself into this placement and hopefully we can learn from you some lessons in preparing volunteers to go on such placements in the future..

    Thankyou for a great post and I dearly hope the rest of your time there in France is fruitful. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian, great post. I look forward to hearing more about this adventure you are on. We have lots to learn from you. Enjoy the experience and I admire you for your bravery in jumping into this.

    Enjoy and keep blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya Ian, firstly i think your writing style is great. Im not sure many of us who have blogged have the most formal of writing styles!

    Adi had mentioned that you had gone to France for a year, i know he was very proud. It's really interesting to hear how things are going and "bon chance" with the rest of your time and looking forward to hearing about the rest of your adventures

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian! What a fantastic post... i agree with Amy, you sound very confident and articulate in the way you write.

    I have been so excited to see your blog, as Adi has been telling me all about you and your experiences in France.

    It sounds like your having an amazing time and really taking every opportunity possible which is what it is all about!

    Your doing Bolton and the YMCA proud and i cant wait to hear about your continuing adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ian,

    I have never met you before but have just read your blog. Firstly, what an amazing opportunity you have got to work in another YMCA in France.

    We sometimes hear how amazing international experiences can be, but don't realise the personal challenges people may face when being out in another country. I'm really glad you didn't leave after the 2 days, as that would have been a real shame.

    Its good to hear how you have overcomed some of those language barriers by finding other ways of communicating with people there. I respect you for your honesty and hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.

    Keep forwarding your blogs as I would like to hear more. ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not think Ian would settle to this experience and certainly not write this blog.I cannot understand why he did not get an A* in his english GSCE!!What an articulate boy.His dad and I are very proud of him.We have visited him at his placement at Le Rocheton what a great place.Well done Ian

    ReplyDelete