Friday 19 October 2012

The end is only the beginning...

Well, it has been a long (sometimes feeling never ending) week. I am exhausted, the days have been long with a lot of content to get in. Have I enjoyed myself? Yes, very much so! Would I change anything? Possibly, but despite these little things, the planning team and facilitators have done an amazing job in complicated and difficult circumstances.

Sticking to the theme of change, it seems right to start talking about today's session; change assessment. This to me looked very interesting on the programme and despite the lack of energy, I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I can see how some of the theories can be put into practice as well as some of the thought provoking concepts. Bruce started with a extremely good but provocative question; how do you know when good practice is good? I found this very interesting working a project that is always working for good practice it was difficult to answer! Can you? Change assessment is basically what it says on the tin: looking at ways of evaluating change. Were all the ways we talked about good? Personally, I think it very much depends on the context you are working. Some I will find really useful, some not so but then others may disagree with me. This is the great thing about working with people; we are not all the same and should embrace the diversity within groups. This is one amazing thing I have learnt about the YMCA Europe movement:. We may all be one continent but we all have a very diverse and interesting reality, within the YMCA and as countries. These experiences not only give you learning from the facilitators but from each other as well.

On reflection of today's feedback, we are treated as equals to all the people high up in the organisation, from conversations to dancing to traditional Turkish music. When will I know the impact of this seminar, who knows. I guess I will have to wait and see. Yet another great thing about the YMCA.

Who knows what next for the group here, will we Catch the Vision? Will we run with it? Will we change the world? Who knows, only time will tell.

I would like end with a quote we had today from Socrates; "The unexamined life is not worth listening." many discussions with a group of inspiring people from right at the very top of the organisation downtown the workers and non paid staff of local YMCAs.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, your writing is informative and thought provocing.I feel very comfortaable that your learning, experience and contribution leave the future of the movement in this area safe in your hands.Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete