Sunday 23 October 2016

Social impact Australian Style

Well it's the last full day in Melbourne with time to reflect on yesterday's (Friday) full on schedule with YMCA Victoria. I could begin my reflection by diarising the day, starting with a visit to one of their  childcare facilities where I met truly outstanding staff whilst learning about the Reggio Emilia style of nursery, a style I will certainly be exploring back home, or I could tell you about the amazing Camp we visited called Lady Northcote








where again learning will be drawn or I could talk about the YMCA Victoria's AGM or the outstanding, inspirational, sparkly, humbling, funny, tear jerking, team uniting, alcohol available! YMCA Victoria awards ceremony, all extremely beneficially with lots and lots to take back. However, I want to use this blog to tell you about my experience of Victoria YMCA , an inspiring YMCA true to its vision - "everyone can be healthier, happier and connected to their community; and help those who are not". They embody their understanding "together anything is possible". They believe in healthy living, empowering young people, social impact, youth justice, civil engagement , civil leadership and social enterprise. They challenge one another, they support each other and  they truly believe in the unity of the Y with the attitude knowledge is not power but a learning tool they are happy to share with others.






Many people look at "YMCA Discovery Visits" as a jolly, I experienced it as a privilege and opportunity to learn from world leaders in health and well being, youth empowerment, experienced sector leaders able to sustain and grow their organisation whilst walking the fine line of community access and sustainable development. I heard of their calculated risk taking, their monitoring and evaluation to ensure informed services, their determination to prevent drowning in Australia and Asia Pacific, their drive to assist developing countries through sustainable tourism, tourism such as YMCA Unearth in Cambodia. I am blown away by the fact 50% of their 8000 staff are under 30! I leave Victoria humbled by such a determined and united team and if I'm honest envious of their ability to continuously grow thorough sustainable and targeted development whilst employing and enabling young staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment