Wednesday 1 June 2016

From Ross


I was dreading my trip to Kosovo as I was going to be travelling for 30+ hours. I had to get a bus from Newcastle to London Victoria, then a bus from London victoria to Gatwick, then I had to wait 10 hours for my 6 hour flight. I broke my phone whilst I was at the airport and I couldn’t sleep what so ever, even though I tried my hardest. I was really fed up but I kept saying to myself “you’re nearly there”. I eventually arrived at Prishtina airport and I was knackered! I still had an hour bus journey to Gjakova but it didn’t matter any more because most of the group was reunited! We had a few new faces join us and even though we had only known them for a short while, it felt as though that they had been part of the group from the very beginning.

This was the furthest I have travelled in my life so I wasn’t used to foreign lands but when I arrived at Gjakova I felt right at home in this beautiful town. The view was outstanding! Everywhere you looked you could see magical mountains. I fell in love with Gjakova and I didn’t want to leave. What really broke my heart was the children who begged on the street. I became really close to one girl Rossina (not sure how it’s spelt). She was only 9 but, she was a wonderful girl full of intelligence. I seen her most nights as she hung round in the bizarre where we would go for drinks after our long days. She told me she is sent out to make money for her parents every night.


Even though this was the 3rd part of the exchange, I still didn’t know what to expect and that’s what I love about this exchange.
We started off with the guys from Kosovo sharing their stories about the conflict. I had watched a few documentaries on the conflict but hearing it from someone who I know and who was actually involved filled me with emotion. I really respect the guys for sharing with me as I can imagine it is a sensitive subject for them to discuss. We did a range of activities throughout the week that would better our cultural awareness, youth work skills and leadership skills. We even got to meet the UK ambassador for Kosovo and a Minister of Kosovo. It was excellent to hear their positive views on youth work and the progression of Kosovo. I really could go on all day talking about how this exchange has transformed me and changed my life, in a way that makes me proud of what me and the other participants do.


The saddest part of this week was that every day was becoming closer to the end of the exchange… From wanting to turn round and go home when I was on my way to Fairthorne in part one to wanting to stay in Gjakova forever. This has changed my life. I’ve become more culturally aware, I’ve developed my youth work  & leadership skills, I’ve learnt how to manage projects and lots more but, the thing I will remember the most is the people I met on the way.
Thank you YMCA for the most life changing and inspirational journey I have ever been on in my life.
#family
 

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous Ross, Great post. I think you have communicated really well your experience over the three events. I hope this will be the first of many opportunities you take with YMCA in the future. Good man! Great job!

    ReplyDelete