Friday 13 July 2018

An empowering Massage (Message)

I was pummelled yesterday afternoon! Taking advantage of a break in the programme and inspired by Duncan and Emma (YMCA England and Wales Board members) I decided to go for my first Thai Massage. Entering the shop near to the conference centre I was ushered into the room where there were other people receiving their very own treatment. An hour later I had been pulled, pushed, thumped, twisted and stretched. I had bones crack that I didn’t know could be cracked and I found soreness that I didn’t know existed until it was worked on. However, despite the workover I emerged feeling relaxed, energised and motivated to return with vigour to the conference.

In some ways the World Conference has been a bit like a good Thai massage. We have been thrown into a room of people we don’t know, we have been challenged about youth empowerment and had our opinions stretched by people from different countries and cultures. We have learnt about things that we didn’t even know were issues but in so doing we have been motivated to return to the UK in the next few days with a fresh energy and vigour. 
So as we approach the end of this wonder World conference I wonder what your ‘take homes’ will be. What is it that you will return to your work in England and Wales with that you have learned and gained from your time in Thailand that you then want to share with your friends and colleagues. For me personally there have been several key things, some of which I thought I would share with you here:
  1. This is an exciting movement to be part of. Whilst many of our Associations in the UK are over 100 years old the work of the YMCA is still expanding and reaching new countries and communities around the world. I was particularly struck by the story of the YMCA in Kosovo which is now older than the country itself, having been established by a 23 year old young lady just 10 years ago!
  2. Mental Health is a global issue: In our small group we have shared the challenges around mental health and how different countries are trying to respond to the challenges. We have talked about how the YMCA can achieve a greater impact by working together, sharing resources as well as a focus to make a difference
  3. Inspired young people create inspiring events: the opening ceremony and the facilitation of the small groups are just two ways I saw the global Change Agents add some creative skills and compassionate heart to the conference. As a English and Welsh movement we need to make sure we continue to put young people at the heart of what we do.
  4. It is our turn next: the next global YMCA gathering is in London in just over 12 months time. YMCA 175 is set to be an important event in London that will connect thousands of young leaders from across the world. We need to follow in the footsteps of the YMCA Chiang Mai in looking to put on a quality event that will have a legacy that builds towards 2044. 
There is much more I have enjoyed, not least the many dozens of YMCA stories from people from countries such as Malaysia, Czech Republic, Canada, Brazil, Australia, Germany, Hong Kong and Japan.

Just as emerged from my Thai massage with fresh energy and I am now empowered to take the message from this land of smiles and conference back to my YMCA in London knowing that there are many others doing the same to all the continents across the world. I hope you do too!


1 comment: