Thursday 21 July 2016

Youth Ambassadors Celebration and Training Event

I spent this weekend with some very inspirational people in Manchester at the Youth Ambassadors Celebration and Training Conference, and the experience is too exciting to keep to myself.

After being part of the Bridging, Bonding, Linking exchange with Northern Ireland and Kosovo, I was able to be put forward to become a Youth Ambassador for YMCA England, and through the support of my local YMCA and Area Director, it became possible.

To start with I wasn't quite sure what being a Youth Ambassador meant, yet I knew I wanted to be one if it meant I got to become more involved with and represent the national YMCA as well as learning ways to help my local YMCA.

As I sat waiting for my plane from Southampton Airport, feelings of excitement rushed through me as I knew I would see some old friends I met through the exchange, as well as meet new people who share the same passion for our organisation. I also knew I would learn more about my role as a Youth Ambassador and that excited me just as much.


 

With all the excitement also came nerves as I was to help give a presentation on the Bridging, Bonding, Linking exchange. I'm not a great public speaker and I have always been better in communicating in writing rather than verbally, so understandably I was nervous. The positive thing about the presentation was that I was with two of my friends from the exchange so I focused on the fact I would not be alone.

On arrival at the hostel everyone was so welcoming that my nerves about the presentation began to ease off a little. At least until two other Youth Ambassadors gave their presentations. Both of them were so confident and inspiring, not only with the content of what they were saying but the way they opened up and shared that content with us. All I could think was "how am I going to follow them?" They both made standing up in front of an audience look so easy and I hope to be like that one day.


 

One thing that may help me with my aspirations to be a better public speaker is the YMCA Youth Ambassadors Media Training. We touched basis on this a little bit when we learnt that we, as Youth Ambassador might be spokespeople for the YMCA. This sounded really interesting to me but at the same time I was a little apprehensive because of my lack of confidence in public speaking. In the session we learnt a bit about how to do TV interviews and it was great to hear some tips from Andrew and Liam and see them both act out a scenario. We then got to have a go at a couple of scenarios and I really hope I can attend further Youth Ambassador training around this, to build my confidence.

On the first day we also had our pictures taken by a photographer which will be used in to advertise youth ambassadors. This felt a bit odd but the scenery by the canal was beautiful and we had a lot of fun.

 

 

On Sunday we learned about international opportunities that arise in the YMCA and how we can represent our national YMCA Globally. I talked about my experience in Kosovo and we heard about Noel’s experience as a change agent. We also learned more about international conferences such as YES and the World Council Meeting. All these opportunities inspired us all and we were all excited about the opportunities we could be part of.

We then had talked a little bit about the importance of research and how we can be part of facilitating focus groups for qualitative research in the YMCA. Again this was something that really interested me.

The whole weekend was full of learning and passion. I am excited about the opportunities that will arise from being a Youth Ambassador and I am proud to represent the YMCA Locally, Nationally and Internationally.

 


2 comments:

  1. Naomi you have a very special gift for communicating through writing. I did not detect any nerves in the presentation you shared with Bianca and Ross. You are a star and I know your family and friends must be really very proud of you. As I am writing this I also know the immense pleasure this will bring to Chris your CEO, Andrew your area Director and the rest of the YMCA people at YMCA Fairthorne Group. Great job. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really enjoyed reading your blogs during the past year. You've had quite an adventure and as for public speaking - 350 Fairthorne Group will remember you speaking to them at the conference this year. Proud to have you as part of our YMCA.

    ReplyDelete