Monday 8 February 2016

A small reflection

So a week ago today, I was in the UN. Today, I'm back to the day job supporting young homeless people. Two very different worlds, one movement!

So I have yet to update you on the events of the Tuesday sessions! The One Million Voices Launch went really well in spite of the small hiccup in the morning. This small hiccup was a problem of getting access to the UN building... our passes said 0900 but the breakfast started at 0700 and security had no information of us being allowed into the building. We eventually got into the UN at 0830. Only 30 minutes behind schedule. There was a need for speed but what was key was to still get the important message of OMV across. Which upon reflection I feel this was achieved. Some meaningful questions were asked and it helped increase the visibility of the work of the World YMCA on an international level. As for moderating, well that was an experience. Despite the nerves and anticipation, I feel that every time I put myself that far out of my comfort zone, I learn something new about myself.

I'm sure many of you have seen the video of Dorina Lluka-Davies and her speech at the UN, if you haven't, you need to find it on the World YMCA's YouTube channel. Impressive isn't the word. Dorina talks passionately and honestly about the importance of youth participation and her personal experiences relating these to the current situations facing young people all over the world today. The YMCA is not just any space, it is a safe space where we believe in young people and their abilities to change the world, to have an impact on themselves and their communities. This is important when looking at the SDG's, as Dorina mentions, they are the ones that will be sat where I was sat, sat where the member states representatives will be sat in 15 years time. I was blown away by her speech, her courage and I am privileged to call her my friend and colleague!



As the conference due to a close and as a delegation we had our last meal together, it was like we had known each other years not days. When there is nothing else connecting you but the YMCA, there is something special there.

I was very lucky to have a little time to explore the city of New York. Dorina and I couldn't not spend some time in Times Square before I had to dash off to the train station to catch my plane back to the UK.


Now that I have been back to normality and had time to process everything that happened over the last week, from the UN back to reality I think I am still pinching myself that it actually happened.

When I think about the work element, a number of reflections have come to my mind. The ECOSOC itself... I had expectations that it would be a lot more action focused with talks around how we see what work is already being done to address the SDG's, what work still needs to be done, how we monitor and track success with the SDG's. It wasn't so much of this. It was a lot more talking about the SDG's in general. I would be keen to see over the coming years the role INGO's and especially youth INGO's play in achieving and monitoring the SDG's. For me, they play an extremely vital role in it; they are the ones already doing the work.

This experience has been a once in a lifetime - how do I bring this back to the local work I do in YMCA Romford? This is something I am still thinking on...



2 comments:

  1. Great, Thanks for the post Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blogs Rachel and a great achievement of you and the whole group. Congratulations. Warm regards. Ed Eggink

    ReplyDelete