Tuesday 1 September 2015

The end of the Beginning.

So, where was I... I must admit my short stay in the Philippines already seems weeks ago, especially considering I'm now back in Europe having experienced the wealth of Singapore and comfort of Zurich.

It was sad to know that when we got back on the boat we were starting our journey home. After a relaxed debrief most of us returned to our rooms to catch up on sleep while others made use of the swimming pools and Jacuzzis on board. My girlfriend won't be too pleased that I've been sunburnt for 3 days!



For our final four days of programme we covered subjects of fundraising, risk assessment, negotiation skills and individual planning for ideas to implement when we return back home, where I have a few ideas many of which were obtained from my working group detailed in my first blog post. We were also lucky enough to have a sneak peek at the findings of the One Million Voices survey, which has views of young people and their issues from all around the world. It gave me great satisfaction that my YMCA had played a small part in building the figures. The full set of findings included those specific to Wales will be published in a few months.

Throughout the week I had also been located a slot on the party committee group. While other groups concentrated on daily issues such as  devotions, a musical or a 'Morning Show', we had the task of organising a quiz night and the goodbye party. Being a keen quiz goer myself I decided to write up the questions to suit all participants while the team worked on prizes, hosting and challenges. With a late start of 10.30pm I was slightly worried how people would come along but by the second challenge - an egg and spoon race but with popcorn and chopsticks - the teams were deeply involved and maybe a little over competitive! A huge success and a great team effort especially with the hosts Stuart and Danielle.


The one low point of the quiz was that we learned after that one of the Australian girls I have made good friends with had a problem back home. I gave her a hug and remember the substantial pain from my sunburn but in comparison I had no reason to complain. It must be so frustrating being helpless and trapped in that situation and I hope the support of staff and fellow Change Agents gave her a little comfort for the remainder of the trip and she remains in my thoughts. She played a big part in devotions so if there is the big man up in the sky I hope he is looking after her and her family.

The final evening seen us participate in the Peace Boat talent show where we had a twenty minute slot. I had been roped in to a role beforehand and although I had my initial concerns it was again a huge success with the majority of the 700 guests on board dancing to Pharrel Williams 'Happy' song to finish.

Oh, did you want to know my role? It may or may not have been dancing to the Village People... In a wedding dress... next to the CEO... In a santa outfit. Fancy dress was at a minimum it is safe to say. Forgive me if photos do not appear on my Facebook page! The performance was purposely cut short after the first chorus and the rest of the musical focused on what the YMCA is really about with acts portraying civic engagement, employment, health and environment.

Afterwards we invited everyone to join us in celebrating which we did in style thanks to our Jordanian DJ and Peace Boat staff long into the night.


The first half of the next and final day was a time for us to say goodbye, although we constantly reminded each other that it's "see you soon" rather than goodbye. From what I gather the World YMCA are hopeful of us joining the Peace Boat again next year, but sailing through Europe and taking in more on land experiences which seemed to satisfy most of the 150 Change Agents including me. We all dispersed on buses to the airport or into town and that was that - for now.

Or at least as a group of YMCA leaders. I still had time to do a bit of tourism which I'll cover now for my personal memories.

Originally I had no intention of leaving Singapore airport but with help of some of my ebay customers of all people I was easily persuaded to gamble on a few hours in the city. And boy am I glad I did. Singapore has the same population as Wales yet a fraction of the land. Land which is full of wealth. I got off the metro in the middle of a shopping mall that was as big as many airports. A different world away from Cebu, I did wonder what challenges young people in Singapore face. I only came across two street buskers and was confident they had a roof over their head that wasn't a shop front or cardboard. After an hours walk I took the metro to the Marina when I had one of those "oh, that's where it is" moments. I had disembarked from under the Marina Bay Sands hotel. A 50+ story hotel away from the city that swallowed it's surroundings. The Marina and gardens nearby were a delight to walk through whilst I felt chuffed I had made the decision and returned to Changi Airport with hours to spare.


By this time I had already decided to spend some of my nine hours in Zurich going to the city and after plenty of sleep on the 12 hour flight I was on the tram to the Swiss capital. No skyscraper in sight here however, with Church towers taking over most of the skyline. After a required coffee I strolled along the river which opened into a huge lake, with what I had hoped were part of the Alps in the distance. An hour here mulling over the past fortnight and I was done!


I'm now in the sky on the way back to the UK. I'm accustomed to flying but looking down on life below is remains weird! We've broken through the clouds into sunlight and now it's time to prepare for work in 13 hours time!


A big thanks to all of my fellow Change Agents for making me feel so welcome and everyone who supported and sponsored my bike challenge to enable me to experience what I have done, even my employers outside the YMCA have been great to allow me to attend the programme during difficult times. The second part of the programme will be this time next year so I hope these blogs can encourage you to support me again as I help the YMCA to empower young people locally in Newport, nationally in Wales and globally like in Cebu.

Chris

1 comment:

  1. Chris..... bursting here with gratitude for what you have communicated. I remember a few years back when you joined the International Leadership Programme, that of course has ended and I have no doubt other opportunities are beginning to take its place. There is something that sparks in ones soul when we engage in the world of YMCA. Transferring that into offering opportunities in our local communities or seeing others through our newly focused eyes is surly a necessary thing to do. I feel privileged to be in your sphere of influence #standingontheshouldersofgiants

    ReplyDelete