Monday 11 May 2015

Tallinn, Estonia: Great Expectations

Please excuse the poor attempt at a quirky title. It's 5am and I'm short of coffee, hence also, creativity. 

Despite my apparent lack of literary inspiration, sat on a flight to Tallinn, Estonia, I am buzzing with excited anticipation of what the week ahead may bring for my fellow ymca pals and I.

Stuffing my boarding pass into my hand luggage alongside bundles of Y Care International annual reviews and YMCA Suffolk strategy plans, I am reminded that people also have expectations of me from this trip: to learn and to network. Not to network in the, sometimes selfishly, corporate fashion, but to spread the word of the admirable and innovative work of both organisations I am representing in order to make contacts and create links for future development.

On this note, I hope to learn particularly about any global youth projects currently in action or in planning, with which YMCA Suffolk service users could get involved, with the potential in future to partner with a YMCA in another European country. 

However overall, I am going with an open-mind and a feeling of opportunity. I'll keep you posted on how these broad expectations may or may not be met over the next few days.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alice,

    Great first post, great that you have got this opportunity through your engagement with Y Care International. Looking forward to hear how your week goes, Hundreds of people will be following your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ken,

      Thank you for your comment.

      Yes, I feel very honoured to have been asked to represent YCI and hope to tell as many people about my experience as an ICS volunteer with YCI over the week, as already I am finding that lots of the other participants here know very little about their scale and scope of activities across developing countries worldwide.

      Delete
  2. The thoughts and prayers of YMCA Suffolk are with you on this exciting week in Europe with the YMCA! Put lots into the week and come back with lots more for YMCA Suffolk to engage with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Thank you for commenting on my first blog article, and for your kind wishes. I have already so much to feedback when I return home!

      Delete