Saturday 21 December 2013

Son of France?

Well well well! Yes I'm back from the dead to bring you a pre Christmas blog from the forever pleasant Rocheton!

I do believe the last time I wrote was a post Prague hype blog where I finished not knowing what I was going to do after my year volunteering in France.

Up untill my last two days my plan ended up being going back top England to restart the ever so challenging and demoralising task of finding a job... But when it came to the day before I left I got offered a contract as staff here! So I changed my travel plans and took a nice 3 week holiday back to England to say good bye to friends and prepare for my future in France.

Now I'm back I now have 4 job roles instead of just maintenance. Now I work in the kitchen, reception, cleaning and maintenance. I find it even more interesting now because I'm doing different jobs each day which helps alot with my ever progessing French skills. I was always scared to answer the phones because I thought my French wasn't good enough but now I work in the reception it is part of the job and I do it happily. All in all, I still love my job if not more!

Now there are 4 new volunteers, soon to be 5, working at the Rocheton this year. More equal ratio of German to English with two English lads and two German lasses but after new year it shall be 3 German girls. Still better than the 4 Germans to me ratio last year! It's quite strange now having them coming to me to ask questions about how my experience last year was and any advice I have for them but I'm always happy to help them out!

The only major event since my return has been the National General Secretaries meeting held here. I was placed in the reception just to speak English. Nice easy few days for me! I have no idea what went on in the meeting but I do know the post meeting drinks were hilarious in an Irish bar called Le Glasgow on the second leg of the France v Ukraine World Cup qualifier... Busy is an understatement! Still after the match was hilarious seeing the Director of Le Rocheton dancing with the NGS of Norway and also Juan being his usual crazy self! Got to love all things European in the Y!

The only annoying part to the whole part of being in France is finding somewhere to live! yeah it's all good living where you work, not having to mess about getting the bus or whatever but the major blag is I go to bed and I'm at work. I wake up, I'm at work. I have my days off, I'm at work... Too much of a good thing is terrible!

I am still a Son of England at heart but I think I am officially a Son of France aswell!

Till next time, au revoir!

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic blog Ian, couldn't help but smile all the way through

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian you anglo franco son.... man of Europe I love this post. I think you are laying a path for your peers to follow. To know that you are there to offer a word of encouragement or reality. I hope you have the Christmas you desire and I do hope uor paths will cross in 2014. You are the Man! I know the National General Secretary from England valued your help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support! Hopefully I can get Aaron to finish his blog and I found out the other English lad is from Southend YMCA so maybe 3 different views from the Rocheton this year. Hopefully I can see you this year Ken. Can't take holidays till June but after that keen on getting on the European scene again, maybe bring a volunteer or 2 with me aswell ;)

    ReplyDelete