Wednesday 16 January 2013

ILP First Year


Three words would sum up my involvement and first year with ILP (international leaders Project)

Opportunity, Pride and Confidence

Now I have to admit that when I first rocked up to the first gathering I was a bit worried, there was some incredible talent around the cabin along with some very influential people in our movement and I remember thinking ‘what have I let myself into’  The task that stands out from that weekend was to stand up and read a document we had never seen before, and as I watched my ILP colleagues get up and reel off the readings I was honestly in ore and felt well out of my depth. Well that weekend in Ireland just over a year ago seems a long way away, as I sit here now reflecting I’d like to share one or two moments and learning from my journey.
During this journey I have had the opportunity to attend the European general assembly in Prague where I was voted onto the nomination committee for the executive. What an absolute honor and having to stand up and pitch myself to over 200 people from 20 countries is a steep learning curve in public speaking. I was also chosen by the World Alliance to complete a research paper on issues facing young people across Europe, again a huge honor considering I was from a YMCA in the North West of England that didn't really do International work. I was also asked to speak at YMCA Derbyshire’s 100th year anniversary on behalf of the National movement and to promote the World Challenge, what a huge privilege to be part of such celebrations and the feedback I received afterwards from young and older people was fantastic.  
To say the project had just changed me wouldn't be accurate and I would hope that everything I did transferred down to my local work; it helped me link into networks and have contacts in other countries so much so that my local YMCA partnered up with YMCA France for a live Skype on World Challenge day. I personally have much more confidence; I believe in my own ability now and am proud to be part of such a huge movement. I think the project also renewed my passion for our movement after 8 years working at a local level it gave us another direction and provided the whole organization with excitement. I have been inspired by other like-minded leaders and youth from across the movement and I am very grateful to those who gave me the opportunity and my friends on ILP whom are all destined for great things within this movement. 

3 comments:

  1. Looks like it was quite a ride in the first year, Interesting to hear how you feel you have grown during the year, We will watch with interest your posts over the next nine years:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cracking post adi mate! Nice to see even the #unkillable have fears!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reflection Adi. Sounds like you earned this opportunity!

    ReplyDelete