Tuesday 6 November 2012

Into Africa

5th/6th November 2012 Well my first, what I will call,'Proper Visit' to Africa has begun. At 'Check In' in Newcastlle International Airport at 4.00pm Monday, the check in person said 'I have been working Check In here for BA for six years and this is the first time I have checked someone in to that airport (Monrovia), would you like your bag checked through to Libiya, my response was 'no thanks I am going to Liberia'. I soon discover that todays flight via Heathrow is the first time BA has flown there. So at 10.45pm we took off into the night sky over London, embarking on what turned out to be a 6 1/2 hour roller coaster flight to Free Town, the capital of Siera Leon when some 90% of the passenges disembarked at 5.30am leaving about thirty of us on the massive Boing 767. Just as we reached the start of the runway in Free Town the sky lite up as the African Sun rose above the horizon. We took off towards that sunrise and on the way to Monrovia in Liberia. Signing off at 16500 feet going at 484 miles per hour over Africa, I pause for just a moment really hoping my bag has not gone to Libiya :) In my next post I will tell you what I am doing in Liberia.

2 comments:

  1. look at you!
    Leading the way Captain take care and hope your bag arrives safe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy Africa Ken and hope you're reunited with your bags in Liberia and not Libiya :-. Will look out for your blog.

    Joy Namayanja-YMCA England

    ReplyDelete