Sunday 20 May 2012

Reflections of Prague

I wrote these thoughts sat in the airport waiting for my flight home;

I feel a mixture of emotions. Firstly i feel tired, two very late nights / early mornings in a row are no longer part of the norm for me. Im happy to be going home; seeing my fiance, sleeping in my own bed and having a nice hot bath, but sad too. Sad to be leaving old friends and sad to be leaving those who i have only known a matter of days but who i know will be friends for a long time. If you've never experienced an international event with the YMCA then it's hard to explain just how special these friendships are and how close you can become to people in a matter of days.

This year's General Assembly has been the most special so far. It's my fifth General Assembly and as a member of the YES board for the past four years i have enjoyed each one but there seems to be a new passion and strength this year.

The ILP group did Britain and Ireland proud. At the assembly we talked about developing young leaders and their ability to change the world to a more peaceful, a more just and a more democratic society. This group have the power to be these change agents.

The YES meeting was a huge success with 38 young people from 21 countries attending, but not just attending, really participating and having a real desire to change young people's lives in their communities.

I have now served my two terms of two years on the YES board and it's time to pass the baton on and i couldn't be prouder of the new YES board. Our new chair Andre, is going to be a great leader of the group. He has the passion, the drive and a real understanding of what YES means. Along with Cheryl, Marisa, Masha and Tinna the new board and YES as a whole are in good hands.

I have been proud to be part of something so special. I have enjoyed the journey we have been on over the past few years. I have met the most awesome people. i have had so much fun and more importantly i have had the privileged to be part of something big, something that will change the way young people across Europe have their voices heard and if the new board get half way to their dreams and desires, what a journey it'll be!

As a final farewell, from this post and from the 'old' board. If you get the opportunity to get involved in an international event...Do it! You never know quite where the journey will take you but i guarantee there'll be times when it's hard, times when you are challenged, times when you have less sleep that you believe you can survive on, but there will be times when you laugh, times when you make true friends and times when you realise the YMCA can and does change lives, including your own.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Amy,
    Thank you for this message from your heart.
    It was a special meeting and the ILP friends were very visible. Something to be proud of.
    I loved working with you in the past years and look forward, with great enthusiasm, to work together with the new YES board. The first meeting, only a few days ago was very promising.
    As I have said, young people are the driving forces of change and to develop this great movement further.
    I have told the old and new YES Board that I am fully committed, you can count on me.
    Looking forward to meeting again.
    Kind regards

    Ed Eggink

    ReplyDelete