Wednesday 16 November 2011

The Beginning...

Morning all,

I'm Lewis Semper the Support Services Officer from the Romford YMCA. Recently I was chosen for a Young Professional position based in Hong Kong. Today at approximately 6.05pm is when my flight to humid Hong Kong departs. I'm quite excited about this opportunity but also a little scared. Although it's not my first visit to Hong Kong, this is much more than a 10 day business trip as I will be based there for 12 months while travelling to several locations in Asia. While in these locations I will be working closely with Jose Varghese (Executive Secretary of APAY) in organising and promoting Global Alternative Tourism.
I'm not entirely sure exactly what I should be expecting, I think we would all enjoy a limousine ride from the airport to a 5 star hotel but it might be best to start small. I'm going to go in with an open mind, and try to embrase this amazing opportunity as best I can, which summarises all of the helpful advice loved ones gave. Not that I couldn't have came to that conclusion independently, still I'm extremely grateful for all of the love and support particularly from my home YMCA. On my first visit the locals were very kind and helpful, I loved the food and the whether was a refreshing change so I think I'm off to a good start. I should be blogging every other week so be sure to keep your eyes open for the middle and end.

I would like to thank John Norely, Ken Montgomery, Dave Ball, Kerry Jones and Sidney Slaney for all of their guidance, support and help down to the final day.

Hong Kong here I come!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lewis, good to hear your feeling excited and a little nervous, something this big is bound to draw those feelings. remember to call if there is anything you need, or you think that we can help with.
    please keep an eye out at the Cambodia conference for Mukti from nepal YMCA, a good friend of mine and Romford YMCA. god luck and God bless
    John Norley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck Lewis!

    You will be greatly missed here at Romford by everyone and especially by mysekf and Sid.

    We are always here for you even if you just want a friendly conversation

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. please remember to call when you arrive safely :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your first blog! Have a great time and remember to read the quotes on your book to remind yourself what life is all about.

    Do us all proud like I know that you can, and looking forward to reading your thoughts and experiences on life and work in Hong Kong.

    Sid

    ReplyDelete